1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rap is old, not old school, just old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Flipping around the hotel flat screen tonight, and I came upon VH1's Rap Honors show.

What?

VH1 Rap Honors? Talk about throwing me for a loop. That's like Lifetime Network's Hottest Bitches On Television or PAX's Special Tribute To Bisexuality.

Every rapper who has every been big enough to totally sell out was there. East coast, west coast, everyone was representin' how old as fuck they are.

They did a tribute to the Beastie Boys, featuring Diddy as MCA in a cover of Hold It Now Hit It ... uhhh, Diddy or whatever the fuck he calls himself has done exactly one good rap in his career the one with the dude from Rage Against The Machine -- We Ain't Goin' Nowhere. Why in the hell is his untalented ass paying tribute to anything other than his enviable ability to make money off the least amount of ability managable?

Then the Beasties, er, dropped? They were doing Whatcha Want.

Do all you realize Whatcha Want was recorded 15 years ago? Do any of you also realize the Beasties are that same stage of their careers as the Rolling Stones were when they recorded the memorably shitty Dirty Work? I love the Beasties, but they looked it too.

Turned it off for a while, now I turn it back on and Ice Cube is droppin' rhymes. He's also looks like he's weighing in at about 250 bills. OK, he's not that big, but if he had to run away from 5-0 these days, he'd take a cap in his ass at about 10 meters, huffing and puffing like a little bitch.

Sad. I saw Ice Cube back in '89 with the original NWA with about 10 other groups at MSA in Indy. NWA/Cube was great then, but now? The crappy ass Oaktown 3-5-7 and J.J. Fad portion of that concert would be better.

Next up is Bone Thugs 'n Harmony paying tribute to Eazy E. Time to turn the channel ...

Rap is old.

2. Bubbler

Jesus. DJ Yella looks like Smokey Robinson circa 1987. Or Buffalo Butt circa 1976. I hope he doesn't fuck up Wilona and Penny's apartment.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't even think of the Beasties as being hip-hop or rap. I think of them as musicians

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks for the heads-up, Bubs. There's no way in hell I would want to see O'Shea going out like that.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Hey Bubs, tell us how you really feel?

6. Bubbler

Just keeping it real.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Were they jeering KRS-One for saying rap and hip-hop aren't the same thing?

8. Bubbler

Just part of the Great Rap Semantical War. More shadowy than east coast vs. west coast.

It's a long battle. Trick ass bitches have been smoked for using "cheeba" instead of "blunts". The entire Bronx rap crew got clipped back in '86 for using "wack" instead of "whack" in their lyrics.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oaktown 3-5-7? Too funny.

What about 3 Times Dope?

I came of age in the '80s with LL Cool J and Kool Moe Dee, early Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Whodini, Stetsosonic, L.A. Dream Team and, of course, Boogie Down Productions.

"People still takin' rappin' for a joke
    a passing hope
    or a phase with a rope,
    sometimes I choke and try to believe
    why I get challenged by a million MCs,
    I try to tell them
    we're all in this together
    my album was raw
    cuz no one would ever
    think like I think
    and do what I do
    I stole the show
    and then I leave without a clue ..."

By All Means Necessary is a fantastic album.

10. The Basement

The Basement Member

you say rap is "old" with a tone that implies disgust ...

i think it's accomplishment for a genre that i'm sure back when it started, the mainstream felt was a fad.

you mention the "sell outs" - so what do you think of Jay Z premiering his video at halftime of MNF, or inking a deal with Budweiser (and not as just an endorser)??

What did you think of Wu Tang being honored? or Afrika Bambaata??

Ice Cube may be old(er) and a bit heavier - but he was never stupid. He didn't sign with jerry heller back in the day and he was smart enough (like Ice T) to get into film and TV early. he knows that is where the long money is.
    somehow brain power always equates with selling out when it comes to certain artists that were so influential to the game years back.

as for diddy - i'd say no one has done more with living off a dead legend than he has, and that even goes for Suge Knight cuz that dude can't stay outta jail long enough to twiddle away all of the royalties off the 'Pac albums..

and this quote: "OK, he's not that big, but if he had to run away from 5-0 these days, he'd take a cap in his ass at about 10 meters, huffing and puffing like a little bitch."

has got to be one of the dumbest things i've ever read on this board.

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

It is the age-old trapeze act. You start your career with street cred, railing against the establishment, but at some point, you have to decide whether you want the cred, or the benjamins. Some, as the Basement is suggesting, are smart because they flow with the benjamins. To each their own...right?

(P.S. I'm pretty drunk right now after a night of boozin' in Utah...)

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And you didn't invite me? I'm not even all that far away right now. I'm hurt!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted