1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rant Time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I take it one of the classes you still need was a copy editing class?

[/a-hole]

This, Kevinmh9, is why I have always been very wary of leaving campus without knowing that all of my requirements (aside from, um, forgetting to complete some paperwork for my master's) are done.

Never know how challenging your original school, or another school, will make it for you. There are quite a few state systems that will not transfer classes between universities in the same system.

That said . . . the transcripts requirement might be doable, if you can pay for the expedited/faxed ones, and inform your new school that the unofficials will have to suffice for a week. Some will work with you on that.

2. Not to be a pain, but couldn't you have just squeezed in the extra two classes at some point? You knew going in how many credits were needed and you came just short (and not short enough to warrant an extra semester). Just seems like a bit of planning would have saved a lot of hassle. Yeah, I know, I'm an a-hole. But seriously, it's not that hard to plan out (I am quite glad they hammered in "four-year plans" at my school, that definitely made life easier, even if it annoyed the hell out of us while putting them together). Just sayin'

That being said, it's disappointing School X is making it so difficult for you. All the red tape that comes with finishing out a degree is just ridiculous. The degree should be what is earned for (hopefully) learning something and becoming proficient at something, not at jumping through hoops and cutting red tape.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I wish that could have been the case. I hate to sound rude, but I did have a "four-year plan" set up, but after I found that I wasn't really destined to be a meteorologist, my "plan" was thrown out. I changed my major three times, and, with that in mind, I still managed to get within six credits of completing a full degree in a typical four-year stay. I normally took five classes a semester, too. I took Winter and Summer classes, too. If I had taken an extra class during one of the normal undergraduate semesters, I don't know if I would survive. Five classes was enough for me.

4. I really wasn't attacking you, just being a bit of an ass. I suppose I should have asked for more info first. Are the two classes missing required courses or are you just missing credits? It sounded like you were just missing credits, now it doesn't so much.

But in all fairness, all of what you said is still on you, plan being thrown out the window or not. Now, the school being a pain about it, that's on them.

Anyway, I should shutup, it's not my place to chide you about better planning.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I failed a class during my first semester -- stupid professors and their intolerance for cheating on final papers -- and was short of the "norm," and I failed another class along the way before I got my act together. I had to take 18 credits a couple semesters, a 21-credit load during the first of my junior year, and I mixed in a seven-credit session in the summer before my sophomore and junior years to improve my stock come class-registry time.

I knew 15 credits weren't going to do it for me; not after I pissed away enough hours. It didn't help, of course, that I added journalism and speech communication to my broadcasting emphasis.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I graduated one class shy of a minor in Philosophy... because they didn't offer a class that fit the requirement during my junior or senior year. I wasn't real impressed with the department.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There wasn't a replacement course? For my speech communication degree, I needed to take Interpersonal Communication, but it was only offered once a year, and the way I was going, it would have pushed my schedule just enough to be a big pain. Thankfully, they had Psychology of Family Relations as a substitute, and I wasn't held back at all. And it was an awesome class.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well, I did graduate and its not much better. I get paid like shit.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Nope. It was required to take one class focusing on a single philosopher. They offered one my senior year, and about 10 minutes into the first class the professor said "Oh, by the way, if any of you are here to fulfill the single philosopher course requirement, this course doesn't count." Virtually everyone in the room got up and walked out, many shouting obscenities at the professor.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's ridiculous. My college dropped International Business as a major one semester, which screwed a lot of people, including my girlfriend -- one of the many to get to her at college. It wasn't a popular major, but for those who went there simply for that field ... whoops.

Draft saved Draft deleted