1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rant Time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Mar 24, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

So, since "graduating" from my undergraduate school in May, 2008, whom I'll classify as School 'X,' completing my degree requirements to actually RECIEVE my degree has been nothing short of performing complex brain surgery mixed in with the agonizing pain that comes with the Cubs not winning the World Series in over a century. (Hi, A_QB!) ;D

I put quotations around "graduating" because School "X," like most schools, allows you to participate in your respective graduating year's ceremonies if you are within so many credits of completing your graduation requirements. So I'm thinking: "I'm within six credits of completing my degree, I'll walk with my friends and peers whom I started with in 2004." Had an awesome time the graduation ceremonies, and got piss drunk afterword along with friends, many of which who were graduating, too, in front of our parents who had never seen their sons or daughters drunk before. But, oh, it gets bad.

I tried taking some classes at some of the local schools and colleges, and I even looked beyond at some out-of-state schools to complete those two classes needed to furfill my degree requirements to finish my degree. No luck, frustration level: Mild. I thought, "I'll just take classes at School 'X' and finish my degree then." I found two classes, I signed up for them, got the necessary financial aid and was ready to go. Problem: Several weeks later, BOTH classes were closed due to a lack of interest in the classes and no one was signing up for them. Frustration level: Medium.

I tried taking classes at School 'X' again in the Winter. There shouldn't be any problems this time around, right? There can't be! WRONG! Even before I signed up for the classes I had planned on taking, I see a "Class Cancelled" notice online for both of those classes, too. Frustration level: High. Keep small children and animals far away. VERY far away.

Recently, I found two classes at a small, local school, whom we'll call School 'Y,' that would successfully transfer into School 'X' and that I could take online. PERFECT! I called the admissions office and registered for the classes and informed the person I spoke to that I'd be registering as a new, non-degree student and that my method of payment would be through the use of federal student aid. The woman I spoke to politely asked me if the classes I was registering for would successfully transfer into School 'X' when I then answered "Yes."

I'm thinking, "Sweet, I'm going to FINALLY receive my degree after a year of trying and failing." After registering for the classes, I was prompted to call the Financial Aid Office where I'd be able to get my financial aid in order. I called the next day and was told that I needed to apply to School 'Y' as a degree student to receive financial aid. Ugh!

I filled out the application, but I had some questions about it, so I waited the next day to complete it. I called the next day and was directed to someone who'd be able to answer my question with an accurate answer. The voicemail picks up and I leave a message. I call again later that day and I still get no answer.

I finally get a call the next day and was told that I'd have to obtain my transcripts from School 'X' and send them School 'Y' to be considered for admission. Another problem: School 'X' takes 1-2 weeks to receive and process my paperwork and then deliver me my transcripts. Once accepted into School 'Y,' I can then receive financial aid for my classes. I, however, have only between now and April 3rd to obtain my transcripts and send them to School 'X,' get accepted into School 'Y' and then receive financial aid. If I don't have that all completed by April 3rd, I get dropped from the classes and I will not be able to sign up for them again due to the cap limit on the number of spaces available in the classes.

The process listed above on average takes about 3-4 weeks and I have about one week.

I called today and asked if it was absolutely necessary that I was enrolled as a degree student to receive financial aid. They mentioned there was another way, but I'd have to call School 'X' and fill out a form to receive financial aid through School 'X' to pay for my classes at School 'Y.' I call School 'X,' but because I'm not enrolled at School 'X' anymore, I'm ineligible to receive financial aid through them.

Frustration level: Boiling!

Rant. Over.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

My advice to you is to begin drinking heavily.

I had to finish my degree with a summer class at another school. It wasn't nearly this difficult, though my "School X" tried to make it seem as if it was pushing boulders up a hill to allow me to take one more class somewhere else. Yeah, assholes, my parents (thanks guys!) just poured $30-odd K into your idiot coffers. Thanks for the sacrifice.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm working on 18 years since I first started taking classes toward a degree. Quit your whining!

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm going on five. Whew, time flies.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but you try just as hard as the other kids who have been out of college 14 years!

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I started in 1999 and left school in 2006 exactly one class short of a degree.

I took the class, but I've never filed for graduation because then if I ever go back I'd have to pay graduate student prices to learn something more useful.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My dad's been out of school for 30 years and still doesn't have a B.A. He went two years to college before his parents made him drop out to help on the family farm and after moving away, he took classes as much as he could and he still doesn't have the degree.

The sad thing? My mom has a four-year degree, does the exact same thing as my father and makes less money.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I left school in '99 five classes short of a degree, and for the longest time had no desire to go back. But I finally realized that if I want to (or have to) change careers, not having that piece of paper is a potential roadblock. So, after 10 years, I'm back in school, hoping to finish by next spring at the latest.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I spent a bunch of money to get my degree. Then I ended up at a place where I could have got the job without it. But at least I have the bragging rights as the first one in my family with a four-year degree. =o/

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You keep flunking Sleeves 101, eh pall?

That's gotta hurt, considering how many kids test out of it.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I'll have that, too. Of course, the rest of my family makes tons more cash than I do, so I don't think they'll be too intimidated.

Fascist professors, man.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Out of my four first cousins, I am the first to obtain a four-year degree. Two cousins made it a total of one semester each at my university. One cousin (funnily enough, the only one I can stand in large doses) has a bachelors and a masters in graphic design. Aside from her, I am the first person from both sides since my mother in 1978 (30 years apart and I even wore her cap and gown) to graduate with a four-year degree.

One of my cousins tried to punk out of my graduation. I was like, "No. You WILL be there with the rest of the family unless you have the plague. No exceptions."

Draft saved Draft deleted