1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rant: This business is not that tough

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Aug 5, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Preps can be year-round now, with prep athletes competing in major club competitions over the summer. If you add in football recruiting and 7-on-7 tournaments, there was a lot out there for a prep writer to be doing in the last month.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Awesome.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

They have their own money and everything.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Monday to Friday? Sign me up! Besides my wedding and honeymoon (two and half weeks total) I had one Saturday and no Sundays off in the 2007 Calendar year. I haven't had either day off yet in 2008. My days off are usually Wednesday Thursday — except this week, some rescheduled games completely fucked me over from picking up my new car. I'm off today and tomorrow. Unless something breaks.

Hours aren't bad? I work straight afternoons, except when there is a 10 a.m. presser after a shift that ended at 2 a.m. Or how about that 8 a.m. triathlon I covered earlier this summer because the other guys were off?

Summers are easy? I cover baseball in the summer. Fall/Winter is college hoops. Please, tell me where it "gets easy."

Anyway, I'm not complaining. Just saying. It's not as "easy" or "convenient" or "compensating" as you suggest.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Now that's just looney talk.

6. Pete Incaviglia

It's true

[​IMG]

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I covered baseball, I was gone for more than a month at the beginning of the season for spring training and then logged an additional 100-plus travel days between the beginning and the end of the season.

I want to know what part of that travel schedule "isn't that tough"

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my newspaper experience.

A whole lot of days where work starts at 3 or 4 p.m. and doesn't end until midnight. Sure, those hours are awesome. We have it easy.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It gets kind of sad to look at your Marriott Rewards account and realize you've spent more nights away from home than at home for the past year.

10. Pete Incaviglia

I've actually come to like my hours (3-11, 4-12, or 3 or 4 to whenever game/story/assignment ends) but mostly because our shop pays a premium for hours worked after 6 p.m.

I also like banking, shopping, traveling during the day when most are at work.

Still, there are several times a month I have to say no to dinners, visits with family, etc. because I'm off covering something somewhere.

11. jps

jps Active Member

atta boy.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

How cute!

http://www.discospock.com/humor/perkycanda.html

Draft saved Draft deleted