1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ranking the "Original Six"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is quite back-of-the-napkin, and doesn't account for year-in, year-out success or Finals appearances without a Cup win, but here's how I would rank them at this point:

1. Montreal Canadians
    Cups
    : 23
    Last: 1993
    Since 1980: 2
    Iconic Players: Rocket Richard, Jean Beliveau, Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy, Doug Harvey, Howie Morenz, Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden. Etc.

2. Detroit Red Wings
    Cups
    : 11
    Last: 2008
    Since 1980: 4
    Iconic Players: Gordie Howe, Sid Abel, Steve Yzerman, Nicklas Lidstrom, Sergei Federov

3. Chicago Blackhawks
    Cups
    : 6
    Last: 2015
    Since 1980: 3
    Iconic Players: Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Keith Magnuson, Tony Esposito, Denis Savard, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane

4. Boston Bruins
    Cups
    : 6
    Last: 2011
    Since 1980: 1
    Iconic Players: Bobby Orr, Eddie Shore, Ray Bourque, John Bucyk, Phil Esposito, Cam Neely

5. Toronto Maple Leafs
    Cups
    : 13
    Last: 1967
    Since 1980: 0
    Iconic Players: Ace Bailey, Bill Barilko, Dave Keon, Syl Apps, Charlie Conacher, Mats Sundin, Borie Salming

6. New York Rangers
    Cups
    : 4
    Last: 1994
    Since 1980: 1
    Iconic Players: Mark Messier, Rod Gilbert, Brian Leetch, Harry Howell, Rod Gilbert, Brad Park, Henrik Lundqvist

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Gotta have Brad Park among the Rangers icons, no?

3. Dick Whitman

Yeah, people should feel free to suggest additions/subtractions when it comes to those. It's hard to have a feel for who other franchises consider to be on their respective Mt. Rushmores.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gosh, you could have Park on the Bruins list, too. And Cam Neely sure belongs.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's weird. I know Brad Park was a great Ranger, but I associate him more with the Bruins, just because of when I was coming of age.

If I was doing a greatest Rangers list, based on the history I know, I'd put Andy Bathgate and Eddie Giacomin on there instead of Park or Lundqvist. When all is said and done Lundqvist will obviously belong in any discussion, but it will help greatly if he can win a cup. Mike Richter will always have that going for himself.

6. Dick Whitman

Are the teams ranked correctly, do you guys think? Three and four are pretty close, obviously. Other than that, I think the list kind of writes itself.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think you have it right. You could argue that Toronto deserves to be higher, but they have been so mediocre and bad for so long --especially recently -- that they really slip down in my mind.

Granted, I have a lot of holes in my knowledge of hockey history, and I am certainly not an expert on Maple Leafs history, but does Daryl Sittler belong on the list of their best ever? What about Tim Horton?

8. Dick Whitman

What's funny is that until the last six seasons, Chicago was squarely and firmly sixth.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think Toronto needs to be higher unless your list is weighted on the what-have-you-done-lately scale.

Bathgate is a good call. Giacomin was a fan favorite but I think you overrate him a little. I'd also put Jean Ratelle on the Rangers' list. Gilbert became more the flashy New Yorker during his career while Ratelle was the soft-spoken and quiet, but Ratelle put up great numbers, too.

Also, special shoutout to Walt Tkaczuk and Bill Fairbairn who were amazing penalty killers for the Rangers in late '60s early '70s. Fans loved those guys.

10. Dick Whitman

I think it has to be, considering the impact of expansion.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Not to mention that the 'what have you done for me lately' time period is closing in on half a century.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

there's a book in there somewhere about the Canadians going from being the most dominant teamsin sports to also-rans for more than 20 years -- maybe 30 years. Growing up there was a mystique about watching Montreal akin to the Yankees. And while the Yankees had about about 30 years of woe (broken up by a strong 1976-81 run), you can really say the Canadians have dropped further since Lafleur faded in the early 1980s. The 1986 and 1993 Cups happened, but they were almost fluky...the Canadians weren't a dominant team when those happened (as I remember it).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted