1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rank The Top 5 Most Important Events In The History of the World

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Jun 6, 2009.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If, by important, you mean, how did we get to where we are now (both in the physical and metaphysical senses), then here's a stab:

Big bang
    Fish learns how to live on land, grows legs (and this is stretching over billions of years, thus stretching the definitional limits of the term "event"), grows mammaries
    Primates learn to make fire
    Primates develop religion, mainly because they had no inkling of the big bang
    Primates develop religious differences

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The Big Bang
    The extinction of the dinosaurs
    The evolution of man
    The birth and rise of Christ and his teachings
    The invention of the printing press

Not sure which one I'd bump off for the day we learn we're not alone.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The Big Bang
    Whatever killed the dinosaurs
    Walking upright
    Domestication of plants and critters
    BBJ's birth :D

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Great Tebow! You lurk a lot, don't you? :D

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Picard figures out that tachyon beams in three different times on the same spot are causing anomaly and stops, allowing amino acids to form while he and Q watch, beginning life on Earth.

Invention of language

Alan Turing overcomes a debilitating illness (teh gay) to become father of computer science

1908 World Series

Ebert's column smacking around Rob Schneider

6. Going with recorded history, as Big Bang/Dinosaurs/Agriculture have been established. Just for fun, we'll limit it to things with actual recorded dates.

632 Death of Muhammad. Questions of succession lead to conflicts that shape relations in arguably the most important and volatile area of the globe.

1450 Johannes Gutenberg independently invents cheap metal movable type. The Chinese did it first (with ceramics) and the Koreans first with metal (which was much more labor intensive). Wiki reports the metal alloys first used to produce Gutenberg's bible are the same used today.

1517 Martin Luther nails his 95 thesis, setting in motion what will eventually become the Protestant Reformation (changing how Christians view God, the church and how the two relate, as well as certain, but not all, aspects of European settlement of the Western Hemisphere).

1917 Rutherford splits the atom, leading to revolutions in science, as well as the creation and deployment of a weapon that would forever change the way every government in the world approaches war and diplomacy.

1933 Hitler assumes power in Germany. Effects obvious and numerous.

And bonus No. 6.

2013 Zombie Apocalypse.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not sure about 2 through 5, but I know No. 1

The day I was born.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be here to think about the other four most important dates in the history of world.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

[setuponatee]
    Whatever they were, you were there for them.
    [/setuponatee]

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In no particular order:

- King Louis XVI saying "It's good to be the King"
    - Josephus rolling the large wacky weed to help himself, Josephus and Swiftus escape the persuing Roman soldiers
    - the "Inquisition" number
    - Emporer Nero taking the money bath
    -Hitler on Ice

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Speaking as an Americuuuuun?

#1: The "election" of the Village Tool in 2000, placing this country squarely on the Road to Perdition.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Big Bang has already been covered. ;D

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd put Franz Ferdinand's assassination in 1914 ahead of this one. Sparked World War I, which eventually led to Hitler's rise 20 years later. It also set in motion a lot of the political headaches in the Middle East that we're sorting through today, helped spur the rise of communism in Russia and beyond, and started the rise of the U.S. as a true world power.

Draft saved Draft deleted