1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rank the NFL coaches 1-32

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 9, 2010.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Joe Gibbs (Theismann, Williams, Rypien) laughs in your face.

Even more significant, he managed to squeeze an NFC Championship Game appearance out of Jay Schroeder. And he even managed to ride Todd Collins into the playoffs many years later.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Jake Delhomme has been a lot of not-so-good things, but "knuckleheaded"? Another problem, DD ... Delhomme is and has been where he is because of John Fox and his philosophy.

This reads as if Delhomme has been foisted upon John Fox. Not the case ... they're pretty much linked at this point. Keep in mind that the only reason the Panthers went to Matt Moore is because Delhomme broke a finger in the Jets game and could not grip the football. And to read the stories coming out of Charlotte, if Delhomme could have possibly gripped the ball, Moore wouldn't have taken a snap.

Fox is a really good coach, but let's not make this sound like he has to tolerate Delhomme. They're a tag team until further notice.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Look, I like Fox too...anytime I see him on TV up here, he is kicking the Giants' asses up and down the field. He should be heavily pursued as a free agent after next year. But if he thought Jake Delhomme was his best QB this year after week one, well, he's not as good a coach as any of us think.

4. Sam Mills 51

We're going to find out if he learned his lesson this offseason. Either Matt Moore is the starter given the way he finished off this past season or, at absolute worst, he lets Moore and Delhomme duke it out for the starting job.

Problem is, the way Marty Hurney structured the deal, cutting Delhomme loose now won't save them any real money. Good idea to extend him to give the team some cap relief this past season. But to put the team on the hook like this should justifiably subject management to second-guessing.

And to think ... the real drama will revolve around Julius Peppers, whose agent is already stinking up Charlotte with his crap-flinging through the media.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Schroeder was also the starter most of the season the year they won the Super Bowl with Doug Williams.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Coughlin in demeanor and style carries himself like many of the all time great NFL coaches - Lombardi/ Noll/ Landry/ Grant /Shula /Parcells. Not a lot of humor going on there.

Would you rate them lower because of their authoritarian style? As far as injuries Couglin adopted Parcells style.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm well aware they're a joint item. That's why I phrased it the way I did. "Franchise needs to cut ties with him." And Delhomme is a knucklehead who caught lightening in a bottle for a brief time, and now makes tons of really bad throws, either because he can't read defenses or because he no longer possesses the ability to be and NFL QB. It's probably both. Fox may not want to get rid of him, but he shouldn't have the choice. Giving him that contract extention was lunacy. The front office never should have done that, no matter what Fox wanted. It's not about Matt Moore. It's about finding a credible alternative to Delhomme, which Moore is not.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The challenge was rating NFL coaches of today. The game has changed a lot since those days, which is why I think someone like Tomlin will be successful over the long haul. How would Lombardi deal with Ochocinco? Would he find a way to work with him, or get rid of him because he didn't fit into his way of doing things? I'll admit Coughlin has had more success, but the Giants were a lot worse off when Plaxico and Coughlin were feuding instead of when the Giants were finding way to put up with a little bit of his crazy while at the same time maximizing what they could out of him. Being a humorless authoritarian dick works when the players don't have the power. That only works sometimes in the NFL. If we're rating coaches in the modern game, then I like people who can use the carrott and the stick.

Coughlin is all stick, all the time. StickStickStickStickStickStickStickStickStick!

And eventually I think it will be his undoing. But I may be wrong. He's had success doing it his way, and I can't deny that.

9. Sam Mills 51

To know the philosophy of the current regime (i.e., Fox and Hurney), they won't spend a high-round draft pick on a quarterback. And Hurney isn't going to go out of his way to jettison anyone to spite Fox, no matter how lousy a player performs.

The extension wasn't an awful idea for the team at this time a year ago, but it left just enough rope for Hurney to hang himself on the back end. It's why Jerry Richardson hasn't sent both Fox and Hurney packing ... and, I suspect, because if the owners lock out the players, Fox's contract would end just in time for the work stoppage.

Matt Moore may or may not be a viable alternative, but to find out, they need to give him another chance at a point of the season prior to Thanksgiving. If not, then just declare him a backup until he either gets tired of earning NFL minimum wage or the regime changes. But what QB with a massive ego is going to be eager to go to Charlotte and hand off the ball 40 times a game? The youngsters who think they're the future all think they're the next Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees and need pass-happy attacks to make their names. Not happening in Charlotte as long as they have that battering-ram running game, defensive-minded philosophy and staff and management in place.

I hear what you're saying, DD, but what you think should happen almost certainly won't. It may cost Fox, Hurney and Delhomme their paying gigs but similar to the last few years they'll live or die together.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You have Del Rio way too high. He must have incriminating stuff on Jags owner Wayne Weaver to hang around this long. He's a fraud.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fisher is also too high. Sorry, but six winning seasons in 16 isn't exactly Hall of Fame stuff.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

you're a little late. i mentioned gibbs first, then mentioned parcells.
    gibbs is a great coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted