1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rank the NFL coaches 1-32

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 9, 2010.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Too bad Zorn isn't still the head coach of the Redskins. He'd be number 32.

Now I'd go for Tom Cable as No. 32. Other than that, I got nothing.

I don't think Sean Payton is in the upper echelon of head coaches in the league. However, I think he's the right head coach for the New Orleans Saints. He might not be the right fit elsewhere, but there's no one else I'd rather have in New Orleans.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

These guys are only as good as the players their GMs draft for them.

I would say that you have Whisenhunt too low.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Some of them can heal the sick and raise the 3-13 dead.

It isn't all who stocks the cupboard.

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Yeah, but if reverse the draft order I think you will be pretty close to the public's coach rankings.

5. 93Devil

True, but then why didn't the greatest of the greats win multiple SBs with different QBs over different eras?

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

ever hear of Joe Gibbs

7. 93Devil

One.

How many more can you name?

8. cjericho

parcells also. but what's the point. they have a franchise QB that wins multiple SBs then they should go out and get someone else? the way to build a team is pretty much get a franchise qb and solid def and build around it.

9. 93Devil

Other than the Giants, who did Parcells win a Super Bowl with?

My point is the draft and grooming your picks are just as important as who coaches your team.

Landry won with different groups of players for the same team, but the list is very short.

10. cjericho

Seriously??

Simms won 1 Super Bowl
    Hostetler won 1 Super Bowl
    2 different QBs

yeah drafting and grooming your picks is very important but good teams with good coaches have won with sub-par QBs.

edit: it's pretty much the same in every sport. who has won multiple NBA titles with different teams.
    Phil Jackson and he had 2 of the best 5 players in the league on each of those teams.
    if you're going to say the coach needs to win with different teams and different QBs the list is very small. but most people would agree that a coach going from one winning team and taking over another and improving that team is a measure of a good coach.

11. Patch

Patch New Member

Or Tomlin. Question the guy for this season all you want, but he has led his team to a Super Bowl. And he, like Ryan, led his team to the playoffs in his first season when that team had missed the playoffs the previous year.

12. 93Devil

So you are saying the team that Hostetler won with was different than the group Simms won with?

And if Parcells was so great, why didn't the Pats, Jets and Cowboys win SBs with him?

The logic that a coach, or a different coach, can step in and turn things around is what gets coaches fired every season, and keeps the Redskins, Lions, Rams and all the other bottom feeders at the bottom.

Many times you are better sticking with what you have and figuring out a way to support that coach better.

Draft saved Draft deleted