1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rank the best 4-2 SEC Team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by footballworld, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Which would be KILLER if the Dawgs played in the West.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In fairness, LSU passed USC for No. 1 a week ago, so I'd say a few voters got it right in hindsight, East Coast bias notwithstanding.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Seeing as how they play 3 vs. the West each year and 5 vs. the East, they might be better off playing a little better against the ole divisional foes.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hey, Mississippi State works just as hard as those other teams ...

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Doesn't LSU have to play Florida every year? That's a pretty big disadvantage when some other team in the SEC West is paired with Vandy or Kentucky every year.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not sure how it works. I know the Big 12 and other conferences rotate games, so I always assumed the SEC did the same.

7. I'm not sure how they decided who plays whom when they started divisional play, but now each SEC team has one permanent opponent from the other division. So my team, South Carolina, plays Arkansas every year. The other games are rotated among the teams. I think Florida's permanent opponent is LSU. It looks like Vandy's is Mississippi. Georgia's is Auburn. Kentucky's is Mississippi State. And Tennessee's is Alabama. I think they play the others two or three straight years, then rotate.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's an interesting setup. I'm glad it's set up the way it is, but it's hardly anywhere close to being fair.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The permanent non-division opponent was forced mainly by the Tennessee-Alabama rivalry. The only other rivalry of any note would be Georgia-Florida.

Probably way overkill, but from the SEC media guide:

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Mizzoue, that's the argument I always make when people question Florida's easy opening schedule (and it's definitely easy, you can't polish those early-season cowpies).

The Gators have to play LSU and Florida State every year in addition to the SEC East gauntlet. Their schedule is plenty tough.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Georgia-Florida is a divisional rivalry so they would play every year anyway.

Georgia-Auburn is the "oldest rivalry in the South" so that probably played as big a role in the scheduling set-up at the Vols-Bama game.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think you gotta put Florida at the top, close losses to decent teams. Then Auburn, one good win, on horrific loss; Georgia and Alabama are a pickem followed by the Bulldogs. Two more wins and Sly Croom gets a new contract.

Draft saved Draft deleted