1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rank the best 4-2 SEC Team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by footballworld, Oct 7, 2007.

1. They lose two games in a row, what do you expect? I think they're lucky to be as high as they are.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Yeah, well USC lost to 41-point underdogs at home and only went from 2 to 7. The polls are a joke.

3. Well, there is a difference between having lost once and having lost twice. That might have something to do with it.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

USC fell to 10 in the AP Top 25.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Not in the coaches poll.

6. I'll bet the coaches voted early and didn't wait for the late score.

7. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

To me it shows people still "slot" based on losses instead of voting who they think are the best teams. They vote as if all 0-loss teams are equal, all 1-loss teams are slightly worse, and all 2-loss teams a little worse than that.

By ranking LSU unanimous No. 1, then dropping Florida four spots after taking that same LSU team to the wire, it's like the AP voters are saying, "Hey, five more points and we raise you from No. 9. Without those points, we drop you to No. 13."

Is the No. 9 team supposed to beat No. 1? Is that the thinking?

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Even folks in Starkville are laughing at that. Just shows you how stupid polls are whether you try to pick the best team or use the head-to-head results. State played as well as it could to be an Auburn team that was lost in the wilderness for a couple of weeks. Your second, real-world ranking is obviously better.

9. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

I guess my thought is there's a difference between who's the best team and who'll end up with the best record. Auburn still has road dates at Arkansas, LSU and Georgia and a home game against Alabama. I think Auburn's better than all the teams on that list other than Florida, but I don't know that Auburn will end the year with a better record than many of them. Saturday's game at Arkansas will tell a lot.

I have no idea what to make of Georgia. I thought they were going to have a decent year, but got an up-close look at a woodshed beating yesterday afternoon.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Given that Georgia lost at home to Vanderbilt last year, there's not a team left on its schedule that you can assume they'll win. The Troy game is scary, coming, as it does, the week after the Cocktail Party. Definitive trap game. And Kentucky is better than they were last year, though they kind of wet the bed at South Carolina. Tech? Eh. The Jackets will find a way to lose to UGA.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Six consecutive losses in the East is kind of a scary stat.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

IIRC, georgia is also 7-1 in their last 8 against the west, including blowout wins at auburn and against LSU in the SECCG.

Draft saved Draft deleted