1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rangers to honor fallen fan and son with statue..thoughts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Aug 18, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/08/17/3297658/only-an-idiot-would-object-to.html

To me, it depends. As a memorial, no. As an example of a passion for the game of a father and a son that many can relate to, yes.

What say you?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think a statue honoring a father and son enjoying a good game is a great idea. The fact that it's modeled after this particular father and son makes it poignant and memorable.

I think Nolan Ryan has good instincts.

Randy Galloway should quit making fun of Lugnuts, though.

3. joe

joe Active Member

No.

I can't wrap my head around the seemingly incessant need to publicly memorialize every death. In the same vein, I can't understand the people who put up crosses along roads and highways where someone died. What's the point? How can a constant reminder help these people feel better? It's not like they're going to forget that the deceased is gone.

And to say that it happened at a ballpark ... well, why does that matter? Are we going to start putting up statues to folks who die of a heart attack while at the park? I mean, they had passion for the game, too.

Ridiculous and unnecessary.

Joe

4. printdust

printdust New Member

What about the fan at home who had a heart attack when his team blew a two-run lead in the ninth, or a memorial to the wife he beat in frustration?

I think the crosses remind me to pay attention on the road. Nothing more. Can't relate to the victim. It's not a cemetery visit.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Are we gonna start putting up statues of fire fighters who die in the line of duty? Cops? Sports writers who had one too many hot dogs in an extra-innings game?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think, though, that printdust hit it on the head: It's a means of honoring not this father and son, but this father and son as an example of fathers and sons writ large and their bond through baseball.

Was there anything particularly special about the Unknown Soldier? Maybe, maybe not. But he's a proxy. Just like these two.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He is right.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the heart attack statue, though.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Quick, somebody post a "Sanford and Son" picture.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He's half-right ... Unnecessary? Of course. By definition a sentimental gesture is unnecessary (unless you're talking about Valentine's flowers for one's wife). Ridiculous? That's a pretty big stretch ...

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The crosses on the side of the road, to me, are quite poignant. The point is to tell motorists to slow the heck down and be safer. I have always taken note of them. Some are handmade by families but in some states the DOT will put up a small sign that says "drive safely."

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever been hit by a car making one of these memorials on the side of the road?

Draft saved Draft deleted