1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Randy Miller accused of plagiarizing translation, throws Twitter tantrum

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PHINJ, May 14, 2012.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2012/5/12/3014597/plagiarism-courier-post-yahoo

Cliffs:
    --Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov gives exclusive, colorful interview to Russian reporter Natalia Bragilevskaya
    -- Russian-speaking Dmitry Chesnekov translates his interview into English for blog Puck Daddy
    -- Randy Miller uses Chesnekov's translated English quotes in story for SJ Courier-Post, crediting Bragilevskaya but not the translator
    -- Hockey blog Broad Street Hockey calls him on it
    -- Miller claims his "friend from Kiev" translated it for him
    -- BSH notes that the quotes are word-for-word the same from Puck Daddy, and notes the impossibility of this (translation doesn't work this way, especially in Russian)
    -- Miller calls BSH editor Travis Hughes "an asshole" on Twitter
    -- Twitter blows up with people calling out Miller (@randyjmiller), Miller blocks all of them

2. JPsT

JPsT Member

Honestly, his backtracking and bullcrap on Twitter after the fact makes it so much worse.

I'm kind of glad this making headlines because the hockey world is becoming more and more multilingual with Russian media doing a lot of NHL coverage and the rise of the KHL. In soccer journalism, there are too many people ripping off other outlets or simply using shoddy translations to start a controversy. Perhaps this will be nipped in the bud in the hockey world.

Hey, guy can dream.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Not to excuse Miller's Twitter antics, but...are translators ever credited? I never see or hear of it in, say, TV broadcasts, or if it is ever done occasionally for print stories.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nats closer Henry Rodriguez uses teammate Jesus Flores as his translator for interviews. I know this because Flores is always credited in the stories I read.

5. ETN814

ETN814 Member

Masa Hoshino is credited in almost every story written about Daisuke Matsuzaka.

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Print translations are considered original works and should always be credited.

When I do interviews with the guys that can't speak English, I always credit the player or coach that translated for me.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Chesnokov did the work and should be credited for it...if Miller did get someone else, no problem. Just say who it is.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If he had just said that it hadn't occurred to him to credit the translator, ot hat it slipped his mind, would anyone have given a shit?

While it would have been wrong (the translator does deserve credit), I wouldn't seen it in the same light as if he had plagiarized the entire quote. And, since he credited the original reporter, I don't think he was trying to mislead anyone.

But, why the stupid, defensive response? It's so easy to catch. A translation is not going to be word for word.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Good point YF.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not good practice to credit the translator just because they did the work, but also so they can share the blame if they screwed something up or purposely put a different spin on the words.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's it. I have always identified the translator as a safeguard in case the translation wasn't accurate.

12. The friend from Kiev defense is never a good one... Meantime, an interesting topic. Not sure if there's an AP style here(?) Thinking about it, for post-event press conferences and or/interviews off to the side of a events with somebody who has a relationship with an athlete and offers to translate, I usually go with the "... said Silvestre, through a translator." I don't usually give the ID, unless it's a mom or girlfriend or whatever. As for transcribed text, I think going for full attribution serves as a service in attribution to readers as well as nod to the "content creators."

Draft saved Draft deleted