1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Randy Edsall=douchebag

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/17339967/edsalls-hypocrisy-showing-through-in-obrien-transfer-case?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001

Another flattering story about the coach. Also mentions how he told Jordan Todman to stand up in front of the team and tell them he was leaving for the NFL draft after the Fiesta Bowl. Meanwhile, Edsall didn't even fly back with the team and took the Maryland job the next day.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Can't disagree that Edsall seems like a douche.

But Doyel himself admits that he might look like a hypocrite after somewhat defending Phil Martelli in much the same situation. And he's right. He does look like a hypocrite.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Speaking of Maretelli, someone at UAB put his picture in every urinal last night.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yup, UAB could use O'Brien's 4 points and 6 rebounds a game right now. ;)

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Doyel nailed this one. And John Feinstein is probably ready to pounce - again.

Keep in mind that Maryland fired the reigning ACC Coach of the Year in Ralph Friedgen to bring in this winner.

6. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

I'm sure smarter people than me can answer this, but what is the reasoning between scholarships being one-year contracts, and yet a student-athlete can't transfer without permission of his program to the school of his choice, even with his having to sit out a year? Maybe a program should be able to create two lists for an outgoing transfer: the list where he can play immediately and the list that demands sitting out a year.

Always pleased to see injustice exposed.
    Well done.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't know why kids can't play immediately after a transfer (something about keeping them in their place, I'm sure) but schools basically do what you suggested. They give the kid a list of places he/she is allowed to transfer, and a list where he/she is not. Usually ADs don't want kids following the former coach, or going to a local rival where they can haunt the former school for a year or two or three.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know why the NCAA gets away with half the crap it does, but I'd imagine two rationale for making kids wait a year when transferring is 1) you'd have schools trying to poach players from each other if they could immediately transfer, and 2) all the best players would be trying to transfer every year to stacked teams on the bring of winning a National Championship.

I could see that kind of thing getting ugly in a hurry.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is just petty on Edsall's part. Vanderbilt provides no threat to him or Maryland. He's just being a twat for the sake of being a twat. Funny part is, when Edsall gets fired at Maryland, which he ultimately will, it will be an old boss that probably gives him another shot, just like Franklin was offering for O'Brien.

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Edsall is a jackass. Worst college football hire since Syracuse hired Robinson.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Isn't Edsall already in his mid-50s? He's probably headed for Kotite territory, deservedly so. At least Kotite seemed to be an OK guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted