1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Randy Bass

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Shit, that's cheating. You'll never be offline at this rate. Of course, sc is such a looser, you'll never catch her.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dear Buckweaver:

Please post 17,000 more times. Thanks.

Your friend,
    BYH

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

My former boss once bragged that her daughter-in-law's dad was a baseball historian. I learned this when he died. I was told he did some consulting on baseball films.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Saw Randy Bass play in Denver with the Bears as a youngster. The Bears were AAA as the Expos and Rangers and then the Reds and Brewers affiliates as the Zephers. If I recall correctly, Bass, who hit monster shots at Mile High Stadium, was a Rangers farmhand.

5. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I was living in Japan teaching English in the 80s. Their baseball culture is fascinating and the spring high school tournament is one of the coolest things in all of baseball--it is like a nationwide version of the old hoosier hysteria Indiana HS basketball tournament--it would make an excellent topic for an in-depth piece. However, I also remember how pitchers shamelessly pitched around Bass and strike zones for top Gaijin (especially Bass) seemed to be called about twice as wide as it was for Japanese players.

6. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Did you ever make it to the old Giants stadium - Korakuen? What a great place to watch a game before they replaced with the Tokyo Dome. Korakuen to me felt like what Ebbet's Field must have been.

I hate domes, but the Tokyo Dome gets a passing grade. Probably the only dome built in the world exclusivily for baseball, so it kind of works.

Watch the NFL pre-season, NCAA football games there and it sucked, kind of reverse of Domes in the States. I used to work for Espn when they did those games.

I did make it to Koshien, the Osaka stadium of the Tigers, kind of Wrigley field. Neat place. Trivia- during the last months of the war, Japan in need of steel, tore apart the upper deck of the stadium to meet needs. The deck was replaced after the war.

A beautiful stadium was Seibu Lions park, kind of like a mini Kauffman.

But my favorite was Jingyu Stadium, home of the Yakult Swallows. A simple bowl near the Olympic Park. You could walk up and get tix any game for the lowly Swallows. The architecture of the simple bowl was so unique and it worked, I've never been in as good a ballpark to watch a game. This park was about a ten minute walk from my expensive company apartment and there was nothing better than walking out of the train station and make a right (instead of a left to my apartment), walking ten minutes, put up about ten bucks and sit it a nice little bowl (30,000 seats) curved perfectly for baseball on a hot summer night. Beer salesman would cruise the aisles with kegs strapped to their back. And whiskey guys would patrol with shot glasses. Some fried squid snacks, heaven.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He's really Charles "Victory" Faust.

8. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I was living near Nagasaki and the nearest team (Daiei) was in Fukuoka, about 3-4 hours away and seems like my Honshu trips all occurred during off-season, so I'm ashamed to admit I never made it to any of the fabled stadiums during my 3 yrs in Japan. Its a regret I hope to one day rectify in a return trip. I got thoroughly hooked on watching the game on the tube while there, though.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Incidentally, C.J. Nitkowski has taken his pitching/writing to Japan this spring, and his blogs are great. Check out www.cjbaseball.com.

10. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

great stuff, how did you find it?

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, I've known about C.J.'s blog for years. Just checked it out last night to see what he was up to.

Draft saved Draft deleted