1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Randy Bass

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Mar 2, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Wow. Good information. Thanks a bunch.

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Rhodes was probably Tuffy Rhodes.

3. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

It's my small pocket of knowledge.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

I never have been to Japan, but I second Chet's comments about the Whiting book... it is a really good baseball book.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'll have to read it.

I'll make a grand admission: I'd give one of my limbs to write about professional baseball for a living. I've covered a lot of stuff in recent months, and the novelty/prestige wears off pretty damn fast. But baseball is my one true love, and I think I could spend a lifetime at the ballpark without ever losing my enthusiasm for it. The thing about the sport is that it has such a rich history. Nothing compares to it.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed, with emphasis on "for a living."

I've done a good bit of writing on baseball history, but almost all of those published articles were volunteer (damn those SABR 4 Kids publications; hi BYH! :D :D), and strictly because I enjoy the work so much. But if I could get paid for it, and paid well, daaaamn ...

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

You keep writing and working hard Buckweaver and someday Weekly SABR Reader will pay you $50 for a story!!! :D :D :D

(I say to the guy who, at just old enough to get turned down by SC, has forgotten more baseball history than I know)

8. No shit. I thought I had pretty extensive knowledge of baseball history, but I'm idiotsnetwork compared to buckdub.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Then what's idiotsnetwork compared to buckdub?

Yawn?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've got this image of driving around the country with Buckweaver as Rain Man. "Yeah...Clarence Dow...2-for-6 in his only big league game in 1884. Died in 1893. Yeah. Kenesaw Mountain Landis sucks."

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/dowcl01.shtml

Hey! This guy played on my birthday! Eighty-nine years prior, of course.

11. Or Dick Trickle.

12. Are you posting from a cell phone?

Draft saved Draft deleted