1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Randomness: The first lawn mowing project of the year

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Apr 5, 2009.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Rather mundane, you might think, but it's always a tougher project than I usually anticipate. To be quite honest, it's a bitch. Gotta move all of Little Man's t-ball junk out of the yard, all the Hot Wheels cars lining the edge of the driveway and the sidewalk chart under the truck. ::)

Then it takes forever to get the lawnmower's motor running, and I end up treating it like a woman on a first date like a machine that hasn't been started in many months. Once it finally gets running, it stalls several times as it takes big piles of weeds that inevitably grow in this part of Texas this time of year. Quite frankly, I just don't spend the time weeding my yard during the winter, because there's more important things in my life.

(in case you can't tell, yardwork isn't a real priority for me.)

Even though it's a cool, partly cloudy day, I'm still working up a sweat attacking all the weeds, which I will have to go back and pull up by hand once I'm done mowing.

Oops...outta gas. Dammit!

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well, my state is getting 6 inches of snow tomorrow, so the grass is the least of our worries.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Use gas stabilizer when you put the mower up in fall. It'll help it start the following spring.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I always drain the gas out of it in the fall. Started right up a couple of weeks ago.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I just drag my starved goats out of the shed and set 'em loose.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I dream of the day genetic engineers create a miniature cow. I could turn a herd loose in the spring and then have a barbecue at the end of the summer. Of course, we'd have to make Krystal-sized burgers from the mini-cows.

But still, it'd be awesome.

7. Okay, that is one of the funnier things I've read in a while.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I posted this as a reply on your Facebook at one point ...

http://www.minicattlecountry.com/

;D

There appears to be more than one ranch selling the little guys, too.

http://www.google.com/search?q=miniature+cows

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's what I do. After I'm done cutting our yard for the last time, I'll just move on to the neighbors' yards until the gas is gone. I think I did three extra front yards last fall.

And I (and by the sound of it, a half dozen other people in our neighborhood) mowed for the first time today, too. It sucks. You've got to change the oil in the mower, plus move all of the stuff in the storage shed to get at it. It's good not to be the white trashiest looking house on the block, though.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I had to mow for the third time this spring yesterday. And the yard still looks like shit thanks to a mid-winter clover invasion.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted