1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random trip to Toronto

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Aug 15, 2007.

1. science centre is awesome
    but you need a day to do it

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Another place I forgot that would be walking distance from your hotel is The Rebel House. http://www.rebelhouse.ca

JR and I used to go there a lot. Great food with a Canadian twist and good beers on tap.

3. BRoth

BRoth Member

Leaving in about an hour ... thanks to everyone (especially HC, JR and CanuckReporter) for helping out. It looks like it'll be a good time, eh? (My poor attempt at humor)

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If you find yourself on Bathurst St., hit the Wheat Sheaf Tavern, Toronto's oldest bar.

The Brunswick House is always a good stop too.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

Amen, hope you saw last night's exhibition.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sam, you bastard. You never will let me live that down. :D

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

This must be the time to hit Toronto. I will be coming there in the coming days but thank god I booked my flight early.

If anyone is trying to get back from Toronto to Halifax, there are only $1000.00 seats available (only a few the last I heard). My friend from Cape Breton was trying to come to Halifax early next week from Toronto and now she can't until later in the week.

Apparently, my itinerary for Toronto has already been booked for me thanks to my many friends (I am worried I am not going to have any time for myself ::) )

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Well, if you have the time, you know how to reach us. :D

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

I don't mean to crap on the itinerary, and I don't know how old Broth is, but as far as I can remember, the Brunswick is a hole. Once you've had one tray of cheap beer spilled on you, the place gets old.

There's some decent beer gardens down on the Esplanade and there's lots to see walking around lower Jarvis and Wellington.

There's nothing decent down on the water, so I wouldn't even bother with that for food, though I do agree with a trip to the Islands.

There's also a good pub on Prince Arthur, I think just west of Avenue, but I can't remember the name

And anyone heading to Toronto should check out little Italy on College street, and Kensington Market

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The Duke of York

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Of course the Brunswick is a hole. That's why it's is a Toronto institution and refuses to become a trendy yuppie hangout.

Having lived on Brunswick Avenue during my university days, I can tell you the place hasn't changed in thirty years.

And Huggy's right about the Wheat Sheaf. Great place.

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

I should have known the Marquis of Mimico would weigh in. How did we ever get by without your wisdom and advice?

The Brunswick is only an institution because it attracts 20-year-old goofballs from across the city who drink too much cheap beer and then puke under the tables. (I've seen it.) My guess is you look at the Brunswick as you do your Leafs, through sapphire-coloured glasses.

I know I wouldn't want to take my bride to a place like the Brunswick if I was visiting from out of town, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to any visitor who hasn't spent a few weeks in Millhaven.

And please, who uses yuppie anymore, except people clinging to their own identity as "anti-yuppies"?

Didn't you see, Mimico is one of the new real estate hot spots. Pretty soon they'll be filling up your beloved Goose.

Draft saved Draft deleted