1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random trip to Toronto

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

What new name?

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Rogers Centre.

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

Hit the Distillery District - off Cherry Street near Lakeshore. Good galleries and some good restaurants and there's a great Sports archives gallery that sells classic sports photos from the years.
    http://www.thesportgallery.com/sportatthedistillery.html

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do not miss the St. Lawrence Market (near the Irish Embassy). Best back bacon sandwiches in the city at Carousel Bakery.

If you have time, take the ferry out to the Toronto Islands. Great park, nice beaches.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No jack intended, but I love the hockey haikus. JR slams the five-minute major, while HC's is hit-the-floor hilarious. Figured this belonged on the impulsive Toronto trip thread.

Carry on.

6. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

If you smoke cigars get over to Thomas Hinds.

7. BRoth

BRoth Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions ... it sounds like I'm going to have to make a trip to the Irish Embassy.

Has anyone seen/heard about that Queen musical? I read about it and it sounded pretty lame. I do like Queen, so I guess it could be ok.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I spoke with some folks who saw it and loved it. Haven't personally seen it so can't say for sure.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Just for you, the one I was going to go with and decided against:

She sang beyond the
    genuis of the ice. She sang
    both national anthems.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Oh, how I enjoy your national anthem ... takes me back to good, good times in Raleigh.

(Of course, we usually got two anthems with the team I covered last year, but the singers were AWFUL ... and HC would know. :))

11. BRoth

BRoth Member

trying to plan out the trip and it looks like Friday (when we arrive) we'll try to get to the Royal Ontario Museum before dinner and time around the hotel.

Saturday, we've got options for the Jays/Orioles game, Science Centre, Casa Loma, Irish Embassy, etc. The game's at 1, so I don't know if that'll fit in with doing the other stuff. Plus, it's Steve Trachsel vs. Jesse Litsch.

Does that manage some decent touristy things?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You won't have time to do both the Casa Loma & Science Centre before the Jays game.

I'd pick Casa Loma --the Science Centre needs at least a couple of hours and it's a bit of a hike from the downtown.

You might want to just head down to Chinatown which starts just south of your hotel at University & Dundas.

I'd also suggest you and your lady friend get a transit day pass: unlimited travel on any bus, subway or streetcar. $8.50 for the both of you.

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/family_pass.htm

There's also a good pub about a 10 minute walk from your hotel: The Madison.

It's the unofficial pub of the University of Toronto.

http://www.madisonavenuepub.com/aboutus.html

Great patios.

Have fun!

Draft saved Draft deleted