1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I watched Ivan The Terrible, Part II today. Awesome movie and fits into expressionistic mode. As does Black Sunday of my avatar fame.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Heck with Bennifer and Brangelina and Tomkat...

[​IMG] and [​IMG]

Yep....Curly-Q

3. Bubbler

I wonder where that kid from The Jerk got that yellow Bullshit T-shirt? That cracks my ass up.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would that be Jerry the Mouse? Let yer kids watch it and they'd have figured it out for you.

5. dooley_womack1

[​IMG] and [​IMG]

Yep...Clark-bar

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

A few questions:

Please define torture. At what point does aggressive questioning turn into torture?

Please give specific examples of torture working.

One of the strongest arguments against torture is that it should not be practiced by civilized nations no matter how barbaric the enemy because torture says more -- and injures the fabric of the nation more -- about the nation committing it than it does about the enemy. Your thoughts on that statement?

During World War II, we did not torture Japanese POWs because the military brass discovered that talking info out of opposing soldiers was much more effective than beating it out of them (I read the original manual before, but am having trouble finding it on Google). The Germans also discovered the same tactic when dealing with American POWS. Given that human nature does not generally change, why should we approach AQ any differently?

7. Bubbler

I let them watch Tom & frigging Jerry, I was just bullshittin'.

Speaking of which, I wonder what kids today think of those cartoons made in 40s and 50s? Even when I watched them as kid in the 70s and 80s, I was like, damn, there's some arcane shit in these cartoons. Can't imagine how antiquated they look to today's kids.

And then there's the racial stereotypes rampant in the old cartoons, particularly Tom & Jerry's black maid, pretty much anything made in WWII, and the gold standard -- all things Speedy Gonzales.

What a HOOT those jokes are!

8. dooley_womack1

[​IMG] and [​IMG]

Yep....Freddonna.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am listening to Rapper's Delight by the Sugarhill Gang, drinking beer and all things in life are good.

10. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I still miss Futurama.

I hope it's just as good when it comes back.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Texas Tech is letting my brother come back. Lubbock has no idea what it's in for.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Bobby Knight style?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.