1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random college football rule question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Mar 8, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, it's about as likely as my being divorced by Mandy Moore for cheating on her with Jessica Alba, but it could happen.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My goal is to get this to happen in my Madden/NCAA game...just to see the CPU blow up

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well, no 6-1, because the team going for the 2-point conversion in the first place would get the point for the safety. So it turns into a remarkable boring 7-0.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Again, no. The safety would be scored by the defensive team. Imagine a scenario where the quarterback on the two-point conversion runs 97 yards back to his own end zone and takes a knee. That would be a one-point safety for the defense.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Dammit, I saw it on ESPN once... canucks, what's the CFL term for the weird one-point way to score... and how does it happen?

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A rouge. I'm not a Canuck, but my basic understanding is it occurs in any situation where a touchback would be awarded in the American version of the game. You down a punt/kickoff in the end zone, down an interception in the end zone, etc.

EDIT: And in looking up the rules, I found that's basically right. The difference is after a rouge, you get the ball at the 35. So there's a penalty for taking a touchback, but also a decent reward for it.

7. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Here's an example of the two-point rule, although it comes from I-AA a couple years ago.

(stolen and chopped text) Furman quarterback Billy Napier threw a touchdown pass with 7 seconds left to give his team a 15-14 lead before Coach Lamb opted to go for two, and a three-point lead.

Napier's pass in the flat was intercepted by Josh Jeffries at the 4. He pitched the ball back to teammate Derrick Black. DB Black made it to the endzone giving Appalachian State two points and a 16-15 victory.

The improbable comeback was dubbed "The Miracle on the Mountain."

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That was hilarious, but it's not an example of what we're talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted