1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random (Baa! Not Sheep) Trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jun 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Is there another one? In wracking my brain I started going to the Googles and I can't find anyone else who didn't at least seek the party's nomination. Johnson lost in the nomination process. Pierce lost in nomination. And those are really the only ones left except for Trump who is still two years from running for re-election.

Adams lost to Jefferson
    JQ Adams lost to Jackson
    Van Buren lost to Harrison
    Fillmore lost in nomination
    Taft lost to Wilson
    Hoover lost to Roosevelt
    Ford lost to Carter
    Carter lost to Reagan
    Bush Sr. lost to Clinton

Teddy opted not to run in 1908 but had won election in 1904 after succeeding McKinley (He later tried again in 1912)
    Coolidge declined to run for a second term, but won election after succeeding Harding
    Truman didn't attempt a second term, but won election after succeeding Roosevelt
    LBJ declined to run for a second term, but won election after succeeding Kennedy

2. Spartan Squad

I'm going to be that guy and guess Garfield

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Secretary of Death sounds like an awesome Steven Seagal movie, but it's not an elected office.

4. Spartan Squad

Lmao!

Dammit wrong president with a G in his name. Grover Cleveland is who I meant

Batman likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You mentioned him in the list. It was Pierce. He didn't get the party's nomination in 1856, even though he sought it, and thus did not run for re-election. Several of the others on the list, including Tyler and Buchanan, fell into that category as well.

Near as I can tell, Polk and Hayes are the only ones who made it a point to be one-term presidents. Arthur, who was in poor health at the end of his presidency (he died about a year after it ended) made a token effort at the nomination but also didn't fight it when he didn't get it.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He might be one of the few presidents who has run three times. Don't have time to do a deep dive, but it might just be him and FDR.
    Teddy Roosevelt's first term was inherited from McKinley and he left after the second, so his Bull Moose comeback in 1912 was actually just his second campaign.
    Cleveland won in 1884, lost in 1888, then won again in 1892.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Nixon ran three times.

Batman likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Figured it was time to put these questions to bed:

A: John Tyler, James K. Polk, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Rutherford B. Hayes and Chester A. Arthur.

As noted in other posts, Polk and Hayes were the only two that essentially one-termed themselves. Most of the others failed to secure the party's nomination for one reason or another back in the days before primaries.

A: Tyler, Fillmore, Andrew Johnson and Arthur.

This one is intriguing and sort of a relic of the 19th century. Before passage of the 25th Amendment in 1967, if the VP died in office there was no automatic trigger to move someone else into the job. They had to wait for the next election to get a new vice president. So those four guys all were elected VP, ascended to the job when the president died in office, and then not re-elected. There have been temporary vacancies at vice president since then (most recently for about four months in 1974 when Gerald Ford replaced Nixon), but no presidents since Arthur have spent their entire time in office without one.
    A couple, however, did spend the remainder of a term -- almost a full four-year term in some cases -- without a VP and then got re-elected with a VP. The last to do it was Lyndon Johnson when he finished Kennedy's term, and then was re-elected with Hubert Humphrey as VP in 1964.

1) John Quincy Adams (U.S. representative from Massachusetts)
    2) Andrew Johnson (Senator from Tennessee)

1) John C. Calhoun - VP for Andrew Jackson, later a senator from South Carolina
    2) Richard Johnson - VP for Martin Van Buren, later a representative from Kentucky
    3) John C. Breckinridge - VP for Buchanan, later a Kentucky senator
    4) Hannibal Hamlin - Lincoln's first vice president, later a two-term senator from Maine
    5) Andrew Johnson - Lincoln's second vice president, later a Tennessee senator
    6) Alben Barkley - Truman's VP from 1949-53, then a senator from Kentucky from 1955-56
    7) Hubert H. Humphrey - LBJ's vice president from 1964-68, then a Minnesota senator for most of the 1970s.

I had never even heard of Richard Johnson or Barkley, was only dimly aware of Breckinridge's name, and only knew Hamlin as Lincoln's lesser-known vice president because he has a cool name.
    It's also weird that about half the guys who have done this were from Kentucky.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Vombatus and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Only dead American President not buried with a us flag on his coffin?

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Didn’t Tyler join the confederacy? He’d be my guess.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’d hope they’d take the flag off before throwing dirt on him.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Correct, it was Tyler.

Draft saved Draft deleted