1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random (Baa! Not Sheep) Trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jun 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

One of the Adams returned to Congress and another president became a Supreme Court justice.

[EDIT]
    Obviously missed 'elected.'

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

John Quincy Adams is correct. He served as a representative from Massachusetts from 1831-38, after leaving office as president in 1829.
    One other one, and to give a bit of a hint I'll say it's kind of a surprising one considering his political career.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I botched the Andrew Johnson answer earlier, but I know for sure he’s one answer to your Nos. 2 and 3.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That is correct. Andrew Johnson was elected as a senator from Tennessee in 1875, but died later that year. That makes him one of the answers to No. 4 as well, and gives him the distinction of being the only person in U.S. history to go from VP to president and then on to another major federal office afterward.
    Johnson also had no vice president after taking over for Lincoln.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Chester A. Arthur is one
    4. Hubert Humphrey and John C. Calhoun are two

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Tyler didn't
    Arthur didn't
    Polk didn't
    Hayes didn't
    Buchanan didn't

And that's where I'm at a loss

I'm going to guess Ford (who wasn't a vp or presidential candidate prior to being president)

And Washington

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Fillmore?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good guess, but no. He didn't win his party's nomination at the end of his first term, but did run again in 1856.

So maybe I phrased it slightly wrong by saying "re-election." I meant never ran for president after their initial election or appointment to the job.

Tyler, Polk, Arthur, Andrew Johnson, Buchanan and Hayes are correct. There's one more, and he's from that same era.

Fly likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Both correct, along with Andrew Johnson.
    Four left. Two are possible to guess. The other two, I didn't even know they were vice president.
    FWIW, three of the remaining four went on to represent Kentucky after being vice president. The other was from Maine.

garrow likes this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Hillary Clinton. After running the country from 1993-2000, she was elected a U.S. senator.

(wink)

Batman likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ford ran for re-election and lost to Carter in 1976.
    Washington ran pretty much unpposed in 1793, but he still ran for re-election.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That is correct. Three others.

Draft saved Draft deleted