1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random (Baa! Not Sheep) Trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jun 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

We lost a few great people who were running the Sheep game (Copperpot, et al), and it was a lot of work for them to run it each week. No one has filled their shoes, which says a lot about how much effort it was.

Anyway, I’ve got a non-sports trivia question, and thought hell, let’s start a thread without all the work of Sheep. Most existing trivia threads are very specific: music or movies or Super Bowls or sports. I’d like this one to be more general catch-all thread. If you find some obscure tidbit, make a question of it (and please know and confirm the answer later).

Here goes:
    In the USA, only four people have been elected to all four Fereral offices during their careers (House, Senate, VP and President). Name them.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I know Nixon and Andrew Johnson are two.

I’m guessing John Quincy Adams is another, but blanking on anyone else.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Who was the last switch-hitter MVP?

JC and ChrisLong like this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Johnson wasn't elected president

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Was Andrew Johnson ever ELECTED president?

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

LBJ and Nixon were both elected to all four. Andrew Johnson and John Tyler served in all four but weren't elected as president. Tyler succeeded Harrison but didn't run for re-election. Johnson succeeded Lincoln and tried to run in 1868 but the Democrats nominated someone else. So to answer your question only two were elected.

Vombatus and Fly like this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Nixon and LBJ are the only ones.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

It could also be argued that AJ and JT were never elected to the Senate, since pre-17th Amendment US Senators were appointed by state legislatures.

tapintoamerica and Spartan Squad like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I was going to say Mark Teixiera, but I looked it up and he didn't win MVP.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That's close enough. I wanted it to be a Yankee anyway.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Okay, Spartan and TV are correct. I went back and reread my source and it said the only four who HELD those four offices. (And LBJ and Nixon are the only two ELECTED to all four).

Geez, the importance of being very careful in wording your questions! ARGGHHH!!! (I suck at this.)

Well, we are off and rolling at least.

TigerVols and Spartan Squad like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

1) Sticking with the presidential theme, 44 men have held the office prior to Donald Trump. Five of them died in office during their first terms. Of the remaining 39, seven did not run a presidential re-election campaign at some point in their lives. Can you name them?

2) Four U.S. presidents served their entire terms without having a vice president. Who were they?

3) Two presidents held another elected federal office after leaving office. Who were they?

4) Seven vice presidents held another elected federal office -- other than president -- after leaving office. Who were they?

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted