1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random '90s baseball player name

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Octave, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Dante Bichette

Spartan Squad and Mr. Sluggo like this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

No fake names

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My favorite player at the time. The Blake Street Bombers were a lot of fun to watch.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Quinton McCracken.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Marty Cordova.

6. Baron Scicluna

Jerald Clark

7. Baron Scicluna

Scott Pose.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Having had a top-six seat to the mid-‘90s Reds, I’m not so sure that Sanders was a “good” outfielder as he was a “fast” outfielder. He was often out of position, but fast enough to recover and still usually make a play. I was more impressed by the fact that he could basically just show up and hit .260 off major league pitching. If he had played baseball full-time, he would likely have been a very good hitter and a terror on the base paths.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

May, 1990. White Sox vs. Yankees (a brutally bad Yankees team that still gives me nightmares).

Deion Sanders leads off for the Yankees. He steps into the batters box and draws a dollar sign in the dirt. Carlton Fisk, catching for the White Sox, is annoyed (although he always seemed annoyed).

Next time up, Sanders comes to the plate with a runner on third and one out, draws a dollars sign in the dirt. ... and then pops up to the shortstop. Rather than running it out, he starts jogging back to the dugout. The fans boo. ... and Fisk yells at him, calling him a piece of shit for not running "the fucking ball out."

Next time up, Sanders draws his dollar sign in the dirt and avoids making eye contact with Fisk. He mutters something under his breath.

Fisk, "What did you say?"

Sanders, "Hey man, the days of slavery are over."

Next thing you know, Fisk's mask is off and they are standing nose to nose. Fisk, "I don’t care whether you are black or blue or pink or red. If you don’t start playing this game right, I’m going to kick your ass right here."

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    FileNotFound and Chef2 like this.
  10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Karl “Tuffy” Rhodes, who went into Game 2 of the 1994 season on pace to hit 486 HR that year. Safe to say the work stoppage wasn’t the only thing that kept that from happening.

11. Baron Scicluna

Jeff Conine.

12. Baron Scicluna

Jeff Treadway.

Draft saved Draft deleted