1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random '80s baseball player name

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Mar 20, 2020.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Scott Ostler when he was still with the L.A. Times, I believe. You can find that column in this book a friend gave me years ago:

EDIT: OK, the Amazon link didn't work. It's called "Joy in Mudville: The Big Book of Baseball Humor."

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

With his 'stache, he was the prototype "gamer" pitcher. Out there heaving 88 for 300 IP a year and somehow going 14-17. I'm actually being appreciative, not denigrating him.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Mike Greenwell.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm reminded of a line in a Mike Downey column: If Rob Deer and Ron Darling ever talk to each other on the phone, I'll bet they call each other by their first names.

Batman likes this.
  5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Actually, have the book and that is where I know the story from. It’s at my office ( under quarantine). Has a rare baseball byline for Paul “Dr. Z” Zimmerman.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Rufino Linares

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Bob "Let Them Play" Watson was much better.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When I played catcher in Little League, I thought it would look cool to do the Tony Pena "leg kicked out to the side" stance. My coaches thought otherwise. I think I heard at least one "What the hell is he doing!?" from them the first and only game I did it in.

front.jpg

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dave Dravecky

Batman likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Aw, snap!

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a lot of this in here and it strikes me that in a "random 80s baseball player name" thread, Mike Schmidt (or Rickey Henderson or Dennis Eckersley or others like that) kind of defeat the purpose and seem a little out of place. Kind of like saying "Lou Gehrig" in a "random 30s baseball player name" thread or "Willie Mays" or "Al Kaline" in a "random 50s or 60s baseball name" thread. Seems like a thread like this would be more for guys like Chris Pittaro or Bruce Fields or Randy O'Neal more than it would be for, say, Robin Yount or Alan Trammell.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted