1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Randi Zuckerberg's new book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mark's sister, if you didn't know. It's called "Dot Complicated," and from reading this review, I can't tell what she advocates, exactly, but it still might be worth a read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/books/review/randi-zuckerbergs-dot-complicated-and-dot.html?_r=0

Like the unpictured mother of “Dot.,” Zuckerberg regards living mostly online as normal — indeed, she warns those whom she calls “Facebook refuseniks” that they are courting social isolation — but recommends getting out every once in a while. To carve out time to pay attention to actual people, she suggests checking e-mail less frequently and accepting that “just because we have a megaphone doesn’t mean we need to shout from it all the time.” Also: “Just because you can document your every waking moment doesn’t mean you should.”

But ...

“The business leaders of the future will be three-dimensional personalities, whose lives, interests, hobbies and passions outside of work are documented and on display,” she writes. “Research has shown that when you refuse to share personal details on Facebook with your colleagues, it reduces your likability in the office, when compared to people who do share.”

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm not going to read this until I finish "How To Make It In The NBA" by Larry Jordan.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That explains everything!

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm just excited I can be any kind of nik. Too young to be a beatnik, although refusenik isn't as cool.

And -- one-office anecdotal evidence! -- I don't think my colleagues like me less because I'm not on Facebook. When I hear them talking bad about each other, it's often because of something they saw the person post on Facebook.

Reading the review, though, it seems like I'd agree with other stuff Zuckerberg wrote.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My mother always said you were a no-goodnik and that I shouldn't hang around with you anymore.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why on earth would I want to share any details of my personal life with the poor sap in the next cubicle? It would be like sharing the same on this board. Sorry, not going to happen.

7. Dick Whitman

I'm about 2/3 of the way through it. It's a breezy read, and not bad at all. She doesn't shed some of the verbal affectations of her generation when writing ("adorbs," "random"), but that's OK.

She's really, really big on "authentic" online identity. It's pretty clear that she thinks that Facebook's lasting contribution is that it made people comfortable to be themselves online, rather than toil in anonymity. (She obviously hasn't made it over to this corner of the WWW.) I don't completely disagree with her on that.

She definitely leans toward oversharing, which sets my ulterior motive radar buzzing: "HELP MY BROTHER'S COMPANY!"

It's funny that she has a subhead in the book titled, "Sharing is Caring." That was one of the mantras from the Eggers novel skewering social media that's out right now.

It can be annoying as she puts herselt at the forefront of all these supposedly momentous Web events that nobody actually remembers and probably were about 1/100th as important as she remembers them being.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

don't shit where you eat trumps sharing your shit with your co-workers

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Tangent: I've never been more disappointed than when it was announced the instructional video to a Michael Jordan basketball hoop was going to be shot in my elementary school gym in the early 1990s, only for Larry Jordan to show up as the star of the video.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My soon-to-be brother-in-law and my fiancee have known the Zuckerbergs since college, and from what I can gather, they're genuinely nice people at heart (Randi being the friendlier of the two), though Dick's observation of an overinflated sense of self is pretty accurate.

My favorite story is the time they both spent the weekend at my fiancee's parents' beach house and Mark came upstairs for breakfast and sat down at the table in his boxers and a T-shirt, much to my fiancee's parents' chagrin. "Mark, in this house, we wear pants to the breakfast table," was my future MIL's response.

11. Dick Whitman

Mark has been so front-and-center the last few years, particularly since the IPO, that I think it has taken a lot of the steam out of the lofty opinions people had of the movie, "The Social Network." He seems completely normal and likable.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Zuckerberg lives in Palo Alto and heard about a developer's plan to buy an adjoining house, build a monstrosity and market it as being next to Zuckerberg.

So he bought the four adjoining houses -- total cost $30M -- and is leasing them back to the families who live there. It was the kind of "fuck you" move a regular guy can get behind.

Draft saved Draft deleted