1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Randi Rhodes attacked by rightists!!!! ... Well, maybe not

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Oct 16, 2007.

1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Shouldn't that be moonbatty?

A moonbattery would be a really weak battery powered by moonlight. Just enough charge to fire up a useless discussion about an obvious idiot, the guy who lied about what happened to her.

Hope she didn't hurt herself when she fell; that's my only sentiment.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Bingo.
    I think the other AA host assumed and tried to play it up for all it is worth.
    Isn't him assuming it was a Republican trying to shut her up just as much bigotry?

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Since there was an assault alleged, I thought moonbattery fit better. Moonassault and moonbattery.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

There was never an alleged assault, only assumed.
    Big difference.

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Rhodes has always been unlistenable, even in her earliest, less political local talk days in Florida. No quality hosts would join up with an obviously flawed business plan like Air America, so that kind of dreck is what they can offer.

Air America was always a doomed idea because it went about things the wrong way. For any radio venture to succeed, you need people who understand radio running it and people who know how to use the medium for air talent. Instead, AA based their programming around "celebrities" like Franken, Garofalo and Chuck D rather than people who had shown the ability to be entertaining on radio. All those people are talented at other things, but they are not radio hosts and their performances showed that.

Radio success isn't about a specific political point of view. Conservatives concluding AA's failure is about ideology should remember how Oliver North's show turned out, for example, or check the current dismal numbers for O'Reilly's program. The completely opposed viewpoint shows of Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh are enormously successful because they ENTERTAIN their audience. Nothing else will work.

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Limbaugh, I claim, is a direct descendant of the early Don Imus. (If memory serves, I first heard Imus on the Big Ape out of Jacksonville; Limbaugh years later when I was job hunting in Atlanta.) They started simply outrageous and politcally incorrect, then found a political groove that served them well in cultivating an audience.

These idiots who happen to be marketing geniuses get me a lot less upset than the politicians, whom we should expect to have integrity a lot greater than an entertainer's.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Seemed odd to me that Ed Schultz and his audience seems to be running tonight with the idea that she had, indeed, been mugged. Maybe his internet(s) was down.

8. Actually, the story got squashed almost immediately, by AA, among other people.
    Nutsy Fagin here has been hanging out at his one website again.
    As to the market dictating the ideology of talk-radio, well, Ed Schultz, who is not AA and, therefore, not victim of what truly was a terrible start-up business model, does quite well against Hannity in a number of markets, and that hasn't translated into more stations. And, considering such ratings losers as Monica Crowley and Laura Ingraham seem to have litle trouble maintaining their outlets, I'd say something was amiss.
    HH -- got a quote on that?

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Thought the Franken Show was at its best when Katherine Lanpher served as the foil...the point raised about Ed Schultz re entertainment/station attainment applies to Stephanie Miller, too...

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

His Tribute album is one of my favorites...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Yeah, and "the Left" and the Democratic party are truly in tatters.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/la-na-retire16oct16,1,5705428.story?track=crosspromo&coll=la-news-politics-national&ctrack=1&cset=true

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Republicans are taking their toys and going home. Game's over.

Draft saved Draft deleted