1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rand Paul and/or his minions have a serious plagiarism problem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It may die down.

What matters is what happens when he tries to run for President? Does it get dismissed as "old news", or does it gain traction? Do more examples come out? Can it be used to make some larger point -- like is he a faux-intellectual?

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Here's how I link Cruz to Paul:

Cruz most certainly is a national political neophyte. On a meteoric rise. With a minefield of political flaws. Like Paul, he's trying to pull an Obama. His intended trajectory is almost certainly unsustainable.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He is never going to be more than an "on the stage" candidate, so I don't think this is much of a consideration.

A long time ago, and never to come back the other way. The devaluation of research and writing in the school system means most people don't put much stock in it anymore.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

On both sides, all the "other side" does is throw shit against the wall in regard to politicians. And the outrage meter has become so fucking high by the "other side" for even smaller stuff, that maybe all of this becomes white noise to Joe Q. Public.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think the biggest blunder he made during this was to act like a hurt child after the first instance was uncovered. He looks like a total idiot for that now. Remember when Gary Hart dared reporters to uncover extramarital affairs? Lesson: Don't dare reporters.

6. Dick Whitman

Oh, and not for nothing, but it's striking that Buzzfeed was the entity that uncovered this. The Beltway stenographers, yet again, fail to break a story that was right there for them to find, in the open.

7. YankeeFan

I'm not so sure. In a Republican primary, he could be a factor.

If he can hold his father's base, that's not a bad starting point. His father never grew that base, but Paul could, with the support of "Tea Party" members, who are not the same as Ron Paul supporters.

Then, we have to look at how big the field is at the start. And, then we have to look at whose campaign implodes, and who picks up their supporters.

I said repeatedly, that there was no such thing as a Rick Santorum supporter. He was no one's first choice. People migrated to him. Paul will be the first choice of some.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I think you're right... And I think the more the public dislikes or distrusts the media, the less they care about this.

I care about this. I went to college and was taught that this was just about the worst thing you could do in our profession. People will say, "Oh, he's not a journalist..." and I say, "Well, learn to be one before you start trying to write articles..."

I don't know what 2016 is going to be like for Paul. I think people find, or in my case found, him to be a lot more interesting than some of the other names being trotted out as possible candidates. Granted, it's too early to start putting too much stock in an election that is three years away. I rolled my eyes at the Gattaca crap, but something like this should be capable of ending a possible candidacy, like it did for Biden back in 1988.

9. YankeeFan

He probably didn't know the extent of the problem, and staffers were probably afraid to tell him.

Did Buzzfeed have it before Rachel Maddow? I thought they picked it up after she first reported it.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

New policy in the senator's office: no plagiarizing

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rand-paul-blames-plagiarism-on-staff-implements-new-citation-policy

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It will be interesting to see how much changes in the next 2-3 years. I don't really buy that a candidate who we haven't really heard of at this point emerging, but I think Paul seemed like the most likely candidate to challenge Christie in the primaries.

12. Dick Whitman

Oh, I have no doubt he didn't know about it before he lashed out. We know how it played out behind the scenes. He still looks like a fool.

And Maddow broke the Wikipedia story. As I understand it, Buzzfeed broke the Washington Times story.

Draft saved Draft deleted