1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rand Paul and/or his minions have a serious plagiarism problem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

But I also don't think this seriously impacts him. I have a hard time caring that, in 2 months, anyone really cares about this, let alone all the way to the next election cycle. Not disagreeing that he won't be president. Just saying that my guess is that this won't stick.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's amazing how short the shelf life is for these sorts of trangressions. Remember when the IRS scandal was going to bring down Obama? Then remember when the Syria deal "effectively ended his presidency"? Now the health care Web site issues are the end for him. Until it's fixed and nobody gives a shit any more.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Yep. Which is why it's hard to do anything except shrug my shoulders about this thing.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

A little. Smart. Apparently not a plagiarist. Disliked by most.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/me-ted

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

And what this plagiarism stuff will do, for the purposes of 2016, is give other Republicans a chance to land some cheap, easy shots in his direction during the 379 Iowa debates.

(Oh, yes, there will be 379 of them. The same number for Democrats, too. This race is going to be 2008 all over again, in that the primaries are wiiiiide-open, no matter what Hillary Clinton thinks. Hillary, you do remember how you had 2008 in the bag, right?)

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He's a debate champion, who's argued 9 cases in front of the Supreme Court.

He's not a guy who has trouble crafting his own argument.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Not inconsistent with what I said.

8. YankeeFan

Sure, you just tried to define Paul as a false-intellectual and a neophyte, and then tried to link him to Cruz.

Cruz is a straight up intellectual, and no neophyte.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's right. Just an asshole. And extremely accomplished in the art of assholery.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Often, he did it as a lawyer! [/Lionel Hutz]

11. YankeeFan

Maybe so, but he's not dumb, and anyone who thinks he is will be surprised.

I wouldn't under estimate the guy.

And, as much as the government shutdown hurt Republicans, and took some of the focus of the disastrous launch of the ObamaCare launch, I don't think it hurts long-term, and might even help.

Cruz tried to stop ObamaCare. At the time, people called him crazy. It was the "Law of the Land" for goodness sake.

But, as the law becomes more unpopular, the effort to stop it will only look better.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read this one or the other one. We try not to be total assholes. We try to give some leeway when we can. But the other one was locked, I assume for a very good reason. Someone quickly pretend this is Twitter and in 140 characters or less explain how this one is different? If it is someone starting a thread because another got locked, that isn't reason enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted