1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rancher whose family had fallen behind on taxes wins Powerball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jun 5, 2009.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Too cool:

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/jun/05/23-year-old-rancher-claims-232-million-powerball-p/

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Good luck to him.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I read a story in the Virginian-Pilot last week about a guy who won the lottery 20 years ago and had just received his last payout (monthy or yearly, can't remember). Was an interesting read.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I think it's awesome that they won, but really, you can't pay your mortgage and you're buying lottery tickets?

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

In-laws have the same situation/habits. Downward spiral with all sorts of attempts at miraculous comebacks.

You know you have issues when you're constantly bitching about the undeserving people who've won. I mean, really.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Anyone else bothered by the clear false advertising of a man winning a $232 million jackpot only to get $88.5 million?

I mean, really, isn't that just some bullshit? Because he wants a lump sum he loses $143.5 million dollars? And how much of that is going to taxes? Sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'll accept his punishment. Because I'm just that kind of guy.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's what I love about Canadian lotteries - the jackpots might not get as high as they do down there, but all winnings are tax-free. :)

9. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I believe the loss of 143.5 million is largely due to taxes. Taxes disproportionately paid by the poor and lower-middle classes.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's not just the taxes. It's the interest.

You are often better off taking the lump sum regardless.

(Well, you are often better off not winning the lottery at all, but that's a whole other issue.)

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Depends on how old you are. That guy should have taken the annuity. At my age, it's lump sum, bay-bee

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Agreed but they don't have to play a game with terrible odds.

Just like the poor and lower-middle class don't have to pay $2,000 a year to smoke cigarettes. God Bless those who smoke, pay the taxes and aren't around to collect Social Security...

Draft saved Draft deleted