1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rams want "operable roof panels" as part of stadium improvements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, May 14, 2012.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Burwell's columns were awful. I read the one this morning and was smiling at the absurdity of it. Like was said here, someone dared question him and he took offense and turned it into a (bad) column. I thought it was just understood that from a strictly financial perspective, stadiums like this are a loss for a city. Obviously there's something to be said for civic pride, but hell, the Rams are a joke in that front and nobody even really cares when you've got the winner of 2 of the past 6 world series playing a few blocks away.

I still say let the Rams go. Don't forget to turn the Ed's lights out when you're finished, Kroenke family.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But St. Louis needs to build something new to attract the Final Four! Except, they've already hosted in the current barn.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow is that second Burwell column terrible. I don't know if it's more off-base factually than the first, but what a whiny baby he is. I especially love that the person he turns to to build the case for how great these facilities are is ... The vice president of the NCAA, the group that does all the arm-twisting for the sweetheart deals that make the whole thing such a loser for the city in the first place. Maybe in his next column he can talk to the Irsays about how unfortunate it is for cities that don't pony up.

I have heard Burwell talk about how he and Bernie divvy up the pie on the St. Louis sports scene. But I don't know a person in St. Louis who pays attention to anything Burwell writes.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He stopped using PEDs apparently.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Watching games from the Jones Dome always reminds me of watching games from the Silverdome back in the late 70s - minus the cigarette smoke.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I read nearly every word Bernie writes. Burwell, only when it's a topic of interest to me. Generally it's because I just don't think he's al that talented, but I never would have called him completely off base until reading these 2 columns. Today's was no better.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Jesus, what a thin-skinned little bitch he is. Someone dared question the depth of his knowledge on a subject, so he turns it into a series of poorly-written columns aimed at saving his name?

Besides that, I'd question the $8 million to $15 million in direct spending the Valley men's tournament brings to St. Louis every year. How does that figure come about? Probably from the Valley, which wants a sweet deal. But that sounds awfully high.

I'd bet 80 percent of St. Louisans care little to nothing about the Missouri Valley Conference tournament being in town, and if it left, their lives would not change one bit.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The amount of stories I've read in which a monetary benefit for a city was calculated: innumerable.

The amount of stories I've read in which a monetary benefit for a city was actually verified via a third source: zero.

I never, EVER trust numbers like that from anyone because it's almost always a party with an agenda that is throwing them out there.

The MVC Tournament does brings money into St. Louis. Hotels are usually wiped out downtown and the bars/restaurants do a brisk business. And there are a lot of MVC alums in St. Louis, especially from the Illinois schools and Missouri State. But my guess is that it's far closer to $8 million than $15 million, if it's that high.

And Burwell is right about one point ... Kansas City has been trying to get the MVC Tournament for several years now. So there must be some value in it.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I do find it interesting that the Valley is the host conference for the second/third rounds of the NCAA tournament being held in Kansas City in 2013.

Draft saved Draft deleted