1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rams want "operable roof panels" as part of stadium improvements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, May 14, 2012.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Yes. I've been to a lot of events there since it's been built. Other than a few little changes, the place looks exactly the same as it did when it was completed in 1995.

It's nothing more than a functional stadium (with the exception of the press box elevators, which I've had the fun of getting stuck in a couple of times, as well as the fun of walking down stairs, and then back up again, when the elevators weren't working at all).

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Even without knowing what you mean by chintzy, yes.

Even when the Rams were at their height in Kurt Warner-Marshall Faulk days, that place felt like a tomb. No character, nothing cool about the exterior or interior. Like watching a football game in a stadium that is half-shopping mall, half-morque. Terrible lighting, terrible acoustics and sound system and terrible playing surface.

I haven't been in the Metrodome in years, but I'd still rank that place above the Edward Jones Dome for watching a football game.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1) The short-term construction jobs created are by definition short-lived and often filled by transitory personnel

2) Spending generated by the stadium is almost always siphoned off from existing entertainment and recreation businesses (movies, restaurants)

3) Long-term jobs associated with the stadium are overwhelmingly part-time and low-wage positions. The actual number of full-time employees of most pro sports franchises is shockingly small (usually a few dozen).

4) Perhipheral businesses in the immediate vicinity of the stadium (parking, bar/restaurants) are almost always owned by the franchise owner (or controlled through puppet ownership).

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You'll confuse them even more when you tell them they were founded in Cleveland, and then left, to be replaced by the Browns in another league, then the Browns joined the league, moved to Baltimore, then came back as a new club, only they're not considered a new club.

Have fun.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5) About the time the city stands to make a pennies-on-the-dollar ROI on its stadium costs, the owner declares it's time for upgrades or renovation that must be financed by the government.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

Sorry to keep banging on this drum ... but the proposal was released Monday morning, and as of mid-day Wednesday, still not a word about it from the P-D's No. 1 sports columnist? Miklasz is not on vacation, as he's churning out online (at least) columns about the Cardinals every day.

Instead, Burwell turns out 2 pretty pedestrian efforts about it, one of which is a knee-jerk reaction when someone with the city dared to suggest that he needs to learn more about the convention business before blindly believing everything the Rams are saying about the stadium.

I'm not a St. Louisan and not a Rams fan, but I am eager to hear what he thinks about the stadium "requests." I'd bet Rams fans and people who live in St. Louis might be a little curious what his opinion is. I realize they just lost their sports editor, but somebody there must have the power to tell him he needs to weigh in on this topic.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I thought the media seating was decent in my one trip there.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If Burwell wasn't such as shill for the Rams, he'd know the $700 million is just the minimum. That number isn't going down. Might as well tear the dome down for that much money.

BTW, Glendale didn't get a Final Four even with a brand-new stadium. No guarantee St. Louis gets one, either.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Another question, where would the Rams play while the Dome gets fixed if their plan is approved?

10. dieditor

dieditor Member

I've read that Busch Stadium and Faurot Field in Columbia are the most likely choices.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Perhaps he's deferring to Burwell. Or he's doing his homework on it and trying to figure out how to write "Burwell is full of shit on this topic" without starting an office flamewar.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

Maybe the first one. If the second option were true, I'd think he would be too busy on the topic to write such tripe about how Allen Craig is an elite hitter, like he posted online this morning.

Could there be a third option, that he's not writing what he thinks because it would have a negative impact on his access to Kroenke and the Rams' brass?

Draft saved Draft deleted