1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rams release Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Hmmmm ... perhaps Dungy had a point?

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's the thing. He's slow, undersized and doesn't play well on special teams. That's a bad trifecta for a late-round pick.

Way too much is being made about how he played in the preseason. He had a few sacks while going against backups. I think the special teams thing is hurting him more than anything else.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Ross Tucker went on the Dan Patrick Show this morning and said Sam would be on a practice squad today if he wasn't gay or was in the closet.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2014/09/02/ross-tucker-nfl-may-ready-gay-player-thought/

If he is right - and I'm not sure he is just yet - I think the black quarterback comparison is apt.

4. RecoveringJournalist

He's probably right. If a team thought Sam could contribute and help their 53-man roster, he'd probably be on one right now. But for a practice squad guy? I think a lot of teams see it as "not worth it"

Coaches don't want to be asked about any practice squad guy during the season unless it's someone who might replace an injured player.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I have a hard time believing he wouldn't be "worth it" to a CFL team for a season or two trying to hone his skills.

6. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

The Montreal Alouettes, who own the rights of Michael Sam, have reached out to him already.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/alouettes-have-reached-out-to-michael-sam--who-could-be-an-excellent-addition--but-he-may-not-come-to-the-cfl-just-yet-221150879.html

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Damn, that's a whopper of a headline ...

8. RecoveringJournalist

I'll be very surprised if he goes to the CFL.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Given the lack of interest from other NFL teams (for whatever reason), it might behoove him to go there.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No sign of that being a problem soon.

11. Morris816

Morris816 Member

First of all, regarding Michael Sam not making it to the roster, it was because the Rams are deep at defensive end and Ethan Westbrooks was one of those players who wasn't even expected to make an NFL roster and stood out. Players like Westbrooks are not unusual... there's always a guy nobody talks about who wows in the preseason and makes the final roster.

As for special teams, Jeff Fisher has said it was never in the equation in determining Sam's future, because defensive ends who can/will contribute on special teams are rare. When looking at special teamers, the running theme is those ST players who are on defense usually play linebacker or defensive back.

With that said, I do believe Sam will find his way onto an NFL roster at some point. Injuries happen, and whether it's a big-name starter or a depth guy, there will be teams who will need help and will consider Sam if he fits the team's defensive scheme, even if he's just replacing a guy who gets promoted from a practice squad.

I will say this: Sam still provided a valuable lesson, that an openly gay player can be accepted in an NFL locker room without the players getting in an uproar about it.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ESPN had more trouble dealing with Sam than the NFL players did

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.