1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rams hire Spagnuolo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zimmaniac06, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Honesty Kills

Honesty Kills New Member

Interesting. Seems like a rough job to get started with....

I think most Giant fans had hoped there was a wink-wink/handshake agreement with the front office that in two years he'd take over for Coughlin.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don Shula was like 33 or 34 when he got his first head coaching job. And he had Johnny Unitas, who didn't exactly hand out respect like business cards.
    Somehow, he hung in for an acceptable career.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cabo?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely.

5. Mizzougrad96

How many active NFL head coaches have won a Super Bowl?

Belichick
    Coughlin

I have to be forgetting someone. That can't be it.

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

Those are the only two until Super Bowl.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Lost four (Gruden, Dungy, Shanahan, Holmgren) just this month.

Coaching ain't what it used to be. It's an 18-hour per day, 7-days a week, 12 months a year grind now. Back in the Shula/Landry/Noll era, coaches could more or less take a couple of months off after the season to recharge. That helped them last a lot longer. Now, it's free agency, the draft, mini-camps, you name it. It's football, football, football, 365 days per year. And all the talk radio and ESPN shows don't help.

Add to that relentless pressure from owners, fans, media to win at all costs. Yeah, it takes a huge toll. The lifespan is about 10 years at best... and getting shorter.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And don't forget, Cowher's still on the bench.

9. Mizzougrad96

I look around the NFL these days and I see a lot of really mediocre coaches.

How many great coaches are in the NFL? I would say one or two.

I would go Belichick as the only great one. Coughlin and Fisher would be 2-3.

The rest are a huge pile of mediocrity.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

So, the levels currently are:

Great
    Mediocre

No merely "good" coaches in the NFL?

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Good is such a middle of the road adjective. How can one not say Andy Reid is better than good? Sans a Super Bowl ring, he took the Eagles to the NFC title game five times and a Super Bowl appearance.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I hear ya, sxy. There are some people on this board that love the extremes. People are either "great" or part of "a huge pile of mediocrity." Or "great" and "suck."

Or the best or the worst. I'm just trying to discern whether there is anything between mediocre and great among current NFL coaches. I think there is.

Draft saved Draft deleted