1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rams hire Spagnuolo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zimmaniac06, Jan 17, 2009.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

As invisible as TO was at times last year, he's still better than Williams. Williams is not a dependable possession receiver or a big-play guy. If a defense can stop Witten, which is not that hard, Romo will be throwing INTs left and right.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Those two players aren't the problems, and neither is Torry Holt.

Need more dependable WRs to help Holt out and reinforce the line. Marc Bulger will be replaced soon enough if he's forced to stand behind that group again.

Some defensive tweaks wouldn't hurt, particularly in the secondary.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

The Rams could have done worse. I thought Spag would go to the Jets. I hope he gets the defense turned around quickly next season because their offense is getting older with each snap.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This makes me happy. I like Spag, but I want the Chiefs to make a play for Rex Ryan :D

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Hopefully Rex will be a better head coach than his father.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I have no idea how good Williams is, I have never seen a QB-WR combination with less chemistry than he & Romo. They should spend the entire off-season together.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Garrett isn't ready to be a head coach. Neither are Josh McDaniels or Raheem Morris.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I agree with you on Garrett. I don't get the "head coach" vibe from him. But I don't see the others enough to make any guess as to how well they will or will not do.

I don't think you can discount them simply because they're young, first-time coaches. Mike Tomlin has worked out pretty well in Pittsburgh. Granted, he took over a good team, but the fact he came in and the team responded to him from Day 1 was impressive.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Jeff Garcia is like 7 years older than Morris. Of course, I doubt Garcia will stay in Tampa.

But my point is as a head coach, you need the respect of your assistants and your players to be successful. That's hard to come by without a little bit more experience.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Every story I've seen on Morris has mentioned that he has the players' respect.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't think experience matters nearly as much as temperament or confidence.

Besides, if an assistant doesn't respect his boss, there are plenty of other job openings every year. No need to stay in one place in this league.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

yeah, usually when a new head coach comes in, more than half the staff turns over.

the strange thing about tampa is they are promoting from within. Normally, if you are happy with results (ie, Indianapolis) you promote from within. If you are not happy with results (ie, St. Louis) you go outside the organization.

Draft saved Draft deleted