1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ralph Nader: Get rid of scholarships

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Mar 25, 2011.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been posted, but Ralph Nader and his "League of Fans" says it's time to get rid of sports scholarships.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6254572

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nader is getting to be a real pain in the ass in his old age.

In other news, we all scream for ice cream.

In a beautiful wonderful world, institutions of higher learning as well as institutions of secondary (or primary) education would have zero zip zilch nada to do with competitive sports. We don't live in that world and won't be for some good time.

And if we do, there are other things much more urgent to worry about, such as peace on earth, good will toward men, no more hunger, etc etc blah blah yadda yadda.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why they don't offer a major like "athletics" for students.
    Basically, you could teach athletes how to manage money and other aspects of being a pro player or coach, much like you'd teach a student to be a pharmacist or accountant.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It would be like universities offering a major in being an astronaut.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You have to take science and other courses in college to become an astronaut; why not offer something similar for people who could get involved in athletics, whether it be as a player, coach or administrator?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I fear Ralph Nader's influence on college sports. ::)

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Scholarships: Get rid of Ralph Nader.

Seriously, this asshole already helped ruin America from 2000-08. We'll let you know when we care what you think again, Ralph. In other words: Go away, old man, and never come back.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The good news is that I would no longer cost some kid a scholarship by not writing about him.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You mean like economics, finance, management, communications, psychology, Biology and kinesiology? Things like that? Fuck, you're right, that would be a GREAT idea for universities to start teaching that stuff.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In every sport except football, scouts find players and recruit from club systems rather than high school teams (select baseball and softball, club soccer, AAU basketball, etc).

So when some mom calls and complains "YOU'RE COSTING MY KID A SCHOLARSHIP!!!1!!ELEVENTY!!!," I ask if her daughter plays club ball.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's it. I'm never voting for Ralph Nader again. :D

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Translated through Dooleyfish, it comes out as... Ralph Nader: "LOOK AT ME!!!!"

Draft saved Draft deleted