1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raleigh, NC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADodgen, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

So, I recently decided to move to Raleigh, on little more than a whim. Heading out sometime in July.

Now, I'm looking to hear from people who've been (bonus points for having lived) there. Great places to go? Cool stuff to see? Parts of town NOT to live in? Anyone know anyone who needs a wayward (and currently unemployed) copy editor/former reporter/ photographer?

Really, I'd just love to hear what people think of the area and if there's anything I should make sure to make time for in the next year or so.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You're in a real good jumping off point to visit a lot of the mid-Atlantic and the upper south. It's a couple hours to Richmond, three or so to Charlotte and four or five to D.C. (depending on traffic).

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Lots of cool stuff in Raleigh.

For the artistic sorts, there's Five Points (Dunno if the Rialto still has showing of Rocky Horror ... wouldn't be surprised). The Museum of History is there. Obviously, the state Capitol and downtown, where the ever-shrinking News & Observer staff still resides. There's a big Division I school (North Carolina State University ... and it has a School of Design), two women's colleges (Peace and Meredith) and two HBCU schools (Shaw and St. Augustine's).

North Raleigh is swanky and getting pricier by the minute. South Raleigh used to be what the name suggests, now it's essentially Garner and Clayton is what Garner used to be. Heading west and you get to Research Triangle Park and Durham. More expansion is occurring east, but there and south are your best bets to find a place that won't decimate your checkbook.

Plenty to do, ma'am. Jump in and have fun. PM, if you wish, for more details.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

was born in Raleigh. Don't remember anything about the place because i was 3 when my folks moved us to Kentucky, but I've always wanted to go back.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My sister used to live in Raleigh, now lives about an hour south. My nephew and his family live in Durham. The whole "triad" or whatever they call it is a pretty strong place. You're going to "whim" yourself somewhere, that's a pretty good area.

You can make DC in four. Two to my house and two more to the nation's capital. We made it to Nats Park in less than two hours on our last visit, a record time for us.

Don't sleep on Durham. My son and I went to a concernt (Willie Nelson/Asleep at the Wheel) at what I think is a fairly new performing arts center downtown, near the ballpark. Lots of stuff springing up around there, or so it seemed.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Plenty to do in Raleigh. They have a great summer concert series. Plenty of good minor league baseball in Durham and Zebulon; soccer in Cary; Carolina Hurricanes; Carolina/Duke/N.C. State.

Traffic is a 90 minute prison shower during mornings and afternoons.

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Get married. Have kids. Become huge into zoning laws and how often your neighbors cut their grass. Go to bed at 10 every night.

(Sorry, but...grew up in Raleigh. It is what it is.)

8. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Sorry I let this slide, but wanted to give a hearty thanks to all who offered up info here and via PM. Been in Raleigh about three weeks, and am enjoying it, though it's verrry different (geographically) from home. Still trying to figure out how to get places, and don't understand the way the roads change names. :D

Ah, life in a new place.

Draft saved Draft deleted