1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raising kids in the city

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd rather live in a city if I didn't have kids.

With kids, I'd rather live in a smaller-town/suburb where kids could walk or ride bikes to a store or a movie theater or what have you like I did as a kid.

One problem with some suburbs is that they are so spread out and/or isolated that you are stuck driving kids everywhere.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I (at least like to) think I'm a better man for having grown up in the sticks. Not better than others. Just better.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Grew up in Chicago. Went to grade school in Chicago. Went to high school in Chicago. I turned out OK. But Chicago, I'm guessing, is less cost-prohibitive than New York or LA.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I grew up in the suburbs and turned out alright.
    Part-timer grew up in the same suburb, and he's a mess.
    It's a crap shoot.

5. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I grew up in the city, in Boston. It was a bit cheaper back then (we moved there in the mid-80s). Was fortunate that my parents could send me to private school (and yeah, that was stupidly competitive), but that they also grounded me enough to appreciate what I had.
    As for growing up a city kid, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Taught me to be independent, to watch out for myself, to get around on my own. I could easily get to all kinds of museums and cultural events, and going to a Sox game in high school was a T ride and $10. I was constantly exposed to all sorts of different people on the street. I played Little League for an audience of homeless people in the park. I knew folks in my neighborhood and I had a great city to wander. Only thing I didn't do was mow a lawn, ever, until I moved to the sticks for a newspaper job.
    I hope I can give my kids the same kind of experience. We'll see.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Don't move where there will be lots of construction.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That cracked me up. :D

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is gold. Comedy gold.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I walked to school five miles uphill in the snow every day and I turned out fine

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I can't imagine trying to raise children in NYC. I could see doing it in other big cities, but not there.

Though I'm a Southerner, I do love NYC. Just couldn't imagine trying to raise a family there.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You can raise a kid in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island or some parts of The Bronx. SI is as suburban as you can get in a major metro area. Manhattan? Forget about it.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

That's what I thought. Manhattan? For a kid? Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted