1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raising awareness ... for himself (a rant)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 15, 2007.

1. The EE gets wind of a guy staying in our fair city's finest hotel this morning who is walking across the country to raise awareness for cervical cancer.
    Supposedly, the guy's wife died as result of the cancer and he's walking across the country to raise awareness.
    OK, fair enough.
    However, as I am listening to the EE tell the City Editor he wants a story, I can't help but cringe. ...
    Interlude
    Maybe it is something about our city, but we get these self-promoting jackasses (with no local ties other than being in town) here about once a month trying to get their name and cause some local publicity. The last one was some half-baked shitcaker on a bicycle riding to Iowa (WTF!) to raise awareness for gingivitis, or some such shit.
    To me, it's a story if you are raising money - not awareness. As far as I am concerned the only awareness you are raising is for yourself. ....
    Back to the rest of my original story.
    End Interlude
    The cervical cancer guy called both our paper and the local TV station to promote his ... cause. He's staying at the city's finest hotel for free and he's hanging around all day today for media interviews before moving on.
    Reporter, thank God it wasn't me, comes back after the interview.
    To no ones surprise she says the guy is a kind of a whack job.
    Whatsmore, the man who is trying to raise awareness for cervical cancer isn't wearing any kind of symbol to note his cause - like a pink ribbon for breast cancer, or a giant sign or placard that says "I'm walking to fight cervical cancer!"
    Instead, this guy is trekking across America dressed as a cross between a clown and Charlie Chaplin. How the hell does this raise awareness for the cause!?
    I can't stand these slef-promoting types. Even though I realize that self-promoters really, really make it a lot easier to fill a newspaper with local copy, I can't F-N stand someone whose favorite subject is themselves.
    Don't these attention-starved cocksuckers have a JOB!?

Rant over ...

-30- ​

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Evil,

What were you doing during the interludes? Do we want to know?

You should do a story asking how he manages to get comp hotel rooms -- what effect he thinks his awareness raising has -- has he ever seen Forrest Gump -- does he feel like he is doing this as some kind of psychological reaction to his wife's death? Maybe he can't face being at home?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Eatin free food with Chaplin the Clown...

4. I think he has Cindy Sheehan syndrome. He can't dela with the loss so this is his thing...
    What burns me is the guy really isn't doing shit for the cause.

Apparently the hotel is letting him stay for free because he called them ahead of time, explaining what he was doing for his cause.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

"I just felt like running"

Draft saved Draft deleted