1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raises?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Sep 19, 2008.

1. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Downright poetic -- and very true.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I left a job primarily because I did not get a raise for three years. When I was offered a new job (for almost $10k more and a better title in a comparable market in terms of COL), the old shop offered me a $4-$5k a year raise.

Oh, so NOW you can afford it?

Truth be told, if I would have received a smaller raise or raises during the three-year period before I left, I most certainly would not have applied for the position I eventually accepted.

At the new shop, I was there for two months before cuts were announced. I was pleasantly surprised to see that in the first performance review after the cut, the employee I'm a supervisor for got a 2-point-something percent raise...I didn't think anybody would be getting them.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I've gotten a raise each of the last four years. A big one? Not usually, but a raise nonetheless. It helps.
    I've also worked at union papers for all that time. So it's not a coincidence, or because I'm such a great guy.
    Organize, ask, and you may receive. Don't ask, and, well...

4. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

I know we're talking full-time jobs here ... but I just had to add my $0.02.

I started working at the local Podunk Press as a snot-nosed high school sophomore eight years ago. I made $6.50 an hour (minimum wage was $5.50) and I got 25 cents a mile.

There were three or four part-timers.

Well, I graduated last month from a decent journalism school with honors. And after going 0-for-15 on the full-time job front, I asked the Podunk editor if he needed any part-time help.

"You're like our angel," the SE joked, saying they were in desperate need of someone.

I'm now making $7.15 (minimum wage), get paid once a month and earn 33 cents a mile. I'm also the only part-timer and am doing 3x the work I used to. The paper is a 30K.

I love newspapers, but I hate this business ...

5. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I've jokingly compared working at a newspaper to being an abusive relationship a couple times.

Most days the job knocks you around, tells you you're worthless and curtails any attempts you make to have a personal life that doesn't involve in the newsroom.

But then something happens, and it says it's sorry and tells you it loves you, and the feeling is so good you keep coming back, expecting it to last.

My non-journo friends don't think this is funny. :p

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Actually, for most of us the job fucks us, knocks us up and then doesn't call for six months. All the while we're forced to say "It's okay. I still love it and it will be there for me". Meanwhile, the job is only keeping us around until a younger, cheaper model comes in and is willing to put out twice as much. :)

7. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

As a younger, cheaper model, maybe I've got to find a pimp then ...

One week after receiving my journalism diploma in the mail, I had an interview to become a part-time bank teller. Since I turned 16, I've been working at newspapers. I've never held another job.

So, every question the intervewier asked went something like, "Can you give me an example of working under pressure during a job?", "Give me an example of how you dealt with an angry customer," and "What was your best professional accomplishment?" All my answers were newspaper-based (deadline, angry parents, journalism award) ...

At one point, she asked if I'd at least had some retail experience. "No," I replied, "but I'm normally the banker in Monopoly." She didn't laugh. I'm not expecting a call back.

Honestly, after also being turned down by Hollywood Video and Blockbuster, my next stop is either Burker King or Dunkin Donuts ... and both pay better than the Podunk paper I'm at now.

So, if we young, cheaper models are in high demand, please point me to the nearest willing client/newspaper --- I'll gladly whore myself out. And if this whole BK thing doesn't work out, I may have to start whoring myself out for real.

/sobstory

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, FTH, but sounds like you didn't sell yourself very well in the interview.

Yes, your experience might be all newspaper-based, but your answers shouldn't have been. Dealing with pressure, angry customers and being rewarded for accomplishments are not industry-specific -- they apply to any job. And your skills cultivated in newspapers translate to many jobs, too. It's up to YOU to make that clear in an interview, and convince an employer that your talent and skills are valuable, no matter what job you're applying for.

Sounds like the interviewer gave you a chance to give a good answer, but you didn't give them. Next time, make your answers highlight your skills -- NOT the fact that you've "only" worked in newspapers.

Don't beat yourself up, but it ain't a sob story. You swung and missed on that one. Next time, learn from it and do better.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Oh, and for what it's worth. Getting a job at Hollywood Video is freaking tough. I've applied three or four times at different locations and gone through the interview process twice only to get nada. I guess you have to be somewhat stupid to qualify.

It's actually the only place I've ever interviewed and not gotten the job. (7-for-9 lifetime average isn't too shabby though).

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Mr. Simms: Why do you think you'd be a good hire for this bank?
    Robbie: Well, I'm ready to work hard. And when I put my mind to something, I go all the way. I'll go all the way for you, sir.
    Mr. Simms: Do you have any experience?
    Robbie: No, sir, I have no experience, but I'm a big fan of money. I like it. I use it. I have a little. I keep it in a jar on top of my refrigerator. I'd like to put more in that jar. That's where you come in.

Draft saved Draft deleted