1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raises?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Three more years of school, though. I wasn't up for that - probably should have been. I'm thinking of starting back in January for my masters so my teaching options aren't as limited. I'm loving the teaching aspect of my new gig.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm 10-15 credits away from a master's in education. the thought of walking back into a classroom repulses me, though. i really don't know why.

3. Moderator1

You are closer than I am - I'm a mere 39 hours short.
    My fear is that by doing it part-time, I'll be about 57 when I'm done. No one will hire me. I can't afford to quit and go full-time for two years.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the heartbreakers' needs outweigh my want/desire to attend college unless i'm working at said institution 40 hours a week. until i figure that out, i'll be pleased my shop still hooks me up with COLs.

{see that redirection back toward the topic at hand? that was some solid work if i don't say so myself.}

5. Moderator1

Or if you do.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

touche.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I shouldn't mention the raise I just got four months into my job. It was substantial. By paying moving expenses and giving me a raise, at least my boss isn't trying to screw me over.

But I also do things the other reporters don't. And I don't feel dirty doing it either.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

"Come on, let's just try it. I'll just put the tip in, tell me if it hurts."

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Wow.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never received a raise in this business during three-plus years. Of course, I've only stayed in one place for longer than nine months -- 21 months -- so that has something to do with it, I'm sure.

I deserved one at that long stop; boy, did I. And when I left, after having my overtime cut and essentially being pushed out of the door, they gave the person who was slipping into my spot more money than I'd seen in almost two years.

11. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I've been at the same job for five years. Every year, I've asked for and received a raise. The first time I'm refused, I'm on to better things.

12. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

We get COL, but where's the perspective in that? With gas prices jacking up and gas prices jacking everything else up, the raise in actual COL and the COL have an increasing gap. I'm still appreciative, though.

Last year, I did make a plea to my boss for an "extra" raise and basically ended up getting two COL's in one year. It didn't exactly put me in another tax bracket, but in this economy and the state of our industry, I appreciated it.

Draft saved Draft deleted