1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raises?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Sep 19, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We got something like 1 percent last year (for the first time in three years) as well as an extra check that amounted to about three percent more. They think we're stupid and don't realize that although they're giving us that money it doesn't help us down the line in the way of our pensions. But at least we got something.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Another reason no kid should EVER get into this profession. No raises are the norm at many places. What a fricking joke.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

My coworker and I are now a two-man staff doing the work of what used to be four-full time reporters in addition to taking 85% of the pictures we can use and doing all the layout for six 3-5 page broadsheet sections with very little help from freelancers.

Thusly, our workload has increased anywhere between 125%-300% in the last, oh, say 15 months.

We just got a raise last week. Mine amounted to all of 30 extra cents an hour.

We're now only two dollars less an hour than our competitors who have a two-man staff, take no pictures and layout all of two 3-5 page sections per week.

Life is grand.

4. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

We can't control market forces and the penny-pinching owners that our killing our business, the ones who'll probably say no when we ask for raises. Just wondering how many of us asking for them in an aggressive way, or or are we just supposed to assume that business is so bad and ownership is so cheap that it would come off as selfish if not clueless to even ask...

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm sorry to hear that. i really am. i hope you're either looking at another shop or aiming to get out of the business.

after you leave, hopefully they can burn some college kid out in 9 months time.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One of the last things I did before leaving was hand out raise slips. First ones in 3 1/2 years there.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you only play a hardass online, don't you?

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Granted, I'm in the oil-rich province of Alberta, but when I was still with the union we negotiated annual wage increases of 1.5, 2.5, 2, 2 and 2 per cent during the term of the contract. Plus, we got grid increases, gas increases and a couple other things.

As a result, I'm of the opinion that it can't hurt to ask. Just make sure that when you do, you present a strong case that's backed up with examples of how your work has improved the publication, you're doing more work or whatever else deserves consideration.

Be up front and tell your employer you understand things are tough, but also ask them to recognize in some fashion the work you're doing. Even if it's not possible to offer monetary compensation, your good argument may net you something else that turns out to be positive.

I know, a pat on the back is equivalent to a stick up the ass. Your family doesn't give a shit if they just gave you a lovely-worded memo about how wonderful you are. But the more goodwill you earn, the better your chances of getting that raise if things do turn around, and the better reference you'll have if you leave for greener pastures.

9. Moderator1

Yes.
    Though I can't take credit for those raises. I just handed out the sheets (my evaluation rankings had something to do with who got what). The company and the employees' association finally agreed on a contract after a LONG stalemate.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

this business is much like a disfunctional relationship: you love it with all your heart and soul, but it refuses to love you back.

11. Moderator1

Dig that. I still love it for chrissakes. Crazy as it sounds, I'd consider returning for the right offer.
    If we weren't sickos, we wouldn't have started in the business.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hell, i guess we could have been defense attorneys. we would have fit in with those cats just as well ... just better booze.

Draft saved Draft deleted