1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rain, rain, rain ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

After suffering through the worst summer drought in 40 years here in San Antonio, it's been raining frequently for a month now.
    The weatherman says this is an El Nino period and rain is supposed to be plentiful for a long stretch.
    We'll sure take it here in South Texas.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We've topped nine inches of rain since Oct. 1. It's gotten so bad that some old-growth trees are starting to topple. The ground is so saturated that when the wind blows, the roots just pull out of the muddy ground.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No rain here. But 18 inches of snow about 15 feet from where I'm writing this. If you're north and east of the Rockies, this storm is a whopper.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Last spring, we had rain every time the high school softball team was supposed to play at home, even on the make-up dates, except for the last home games of the season.

So they ended up playing one doubleheader at home all season...in the third week of May. Season started last week of March.

This year, it's rained on various days, but not every Friday. But it has rained at least once during any given week and a lot of the fields around here don't drain well. We're going to have a juco game here this weekend played in a quagmire -- even though it's supposed to be 60 and sunny -- because the field won't be able to dry out. But that might make it more fun to cover as long as I can still read the numbers on the jerseys.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They had the tarp on the field and were spreading Diamond Dry on the field where I'm doing a game tonight. I think a baseball game might break out.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Rained here all day yesterday; On our way to game, 10 minutes from town, rain turned to snow.

Snowed the entire game. Glad it was either raining or snowing, because when the snow or rain quits, the wind picks up......then you're screwed.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I believe it has rained every day since Labor Day here in STL. At least it seems that way. And not just little drizzles or sprinkles, either, but hardcore, turn the wipers on high, soakings. I'm developing a bad case of SAD. I just want a few hours of dry sunshine.

Draft saved Draft deleted