1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rain, rain, rain ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Four of the last five weekends it's rained at least one day between Friday and Sunday here. I guess we're stuck in a cycle.
    There was a light rain during the game I covered tonight and there was no press box.
    One thing I've learned in all the time I've done this is that at some point during the season, you will cover a game in the rain, at least once.
    Accept it. Get used to it.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I rode in a mountain bike race last Sunday. It was 54 degrees and drizzling when we started. It was 47 and pouring when I hit the finish line.

It. Was. Awesome.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Did you win?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh hell no. Fifth in my division out of 11. And I bonked hard on the second 11-mile loop, so my ET sucked, sucked, sucked.

But it was a fun race. Even at 41, it's fun to play in the mud sometimes.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's rained at least one day out of the weekend for six of the last seven weeks around here. There's more rain the forecast on Saturday.
    Is weather cyclical in nature like this, where you will get rain on the same day of the week for several weeks in a row?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Rain? Pshaw.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Here in the Gulf South it is. From maybe mid-November to March the weather pattern is the same. Two nice days with warm weather, followed by one transition day (cloudy, warm and windy) and then a stormy day, followed by two or three days of cold weather after the front passes.
    Rinse, lather, repeat.
    Because it's a six- or seven-day pattern, the stormy days tend to fall on the same day week after week.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Here it's a three-to-four-day pattern, actually. Right now we're on a Monday-Thursday kick. At least the weekends have been nice. But DFW is closing in on 10 inches for October, a record.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Let's see. What day is tomorrow? Oh, Friday, then it must rain. We've had rain at some point every Friday since the start of football season.

And the forecast for tomorrow? Chance of thundershowers. Of course, it was 85 degrees today... Still.

10. KG

KG Active Member

It's going to rain where I'll be, but I'll be camping. :'(

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

My neighbor here in the Lou started building an ark yesterday. He stopped because it was in standing water when we got home from work today.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We've had rain each Friday for the what seems like the last six or seven weeks. Never fails, either.

There's a 60-75 percent chance of rain tomorrow night, and I'll be covering a football game at a school that has an open-air press box. Fun, fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted