1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rain cuts short women's college bball game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writer of ball, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That was the question I was just about to ask before I read to the end of the thread.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No way were there 7,000 people in the crowd. Doesn't even look like 700 were there.

4. writer of ball

writer of ball New Member

Damn, they changed the lead on the write-thru.
    "Just call them the Rain Devils" was gold.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Arizona State did this seven years ago. I was in Phoenix over the weekend and there was a forecast all day for rain Monday night. And, yeah, close the roof. That's why it's there.

6. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

That's gold, Jerry. Just gold!

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Edmonton-Montreal, outdoor hockey game? Great idea.

Michigan-Michigan State outdoor hockey game? Great idea.

Women's non-conference basketball outdoor game in a 50-60,000 seat stadium? Unbelievably stupid idea.

Whoever greenlighted this stroke of genius at ASU should shot then fired.

The UH-UCLA Astrodome game isn't even in the same hemisphere in terms of comparison. Elvin Hayes vs. Lew Alcindor drew what I believe is still a record 52,000+ people.

But it's women's hoops so I guess it's ok to essentially put a bunch of money in a pile and light it on fire like this.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They did it once before, when it was truly a novelty. And having the Lady Vols come to town certainly helped interest. This time, not so much.

9. Armchair_QB

ADs have no balls when it comes to telling women's hoops coaches "no". They're afraid the coach will scream "Title IX!"

10. Armchair_QB

You apparently haven't spent a lot of time around Division I athletic programs. I don't see anybody jumping up and down to do a men's game outside even though something like that would draw a shitload of people compared to Arizona Fucking State and Texas Tech.

How many people do you think would attend a Kentucky-North Carolina hoops game at Commonwealth Stadium? A hell of a lot more than 7,000. Still not a good idea but it makes infinitely more sense than what they did in Phoenix last night.

11. Armchair_QB

I just think it's hilarious that people bitch about how much it costs to run a I-A football program yet see nothing wrong with throwing money down the toilet for an outdoor women's hoops game in a 60,000-seat stadium.

Yeah, those football programs are the real money wasters.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

People would be singing ASU's praises if it hadn't rained on that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted