1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raiders have a head coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Monte could have had some gigs - the Niners in particular were really interested after the Bucs SB win. He's made great money (much higher than a normal salary even for a good DC), doesn't have to do anything but focus on coaching and likes where he lives so he decided not to mess with it.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I thought I heard on the radio today that the Raiders have seven or eight players that are older than Kiffin.

What's the over-under on how long he lasts? Two seasons?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Of course, this wasn't the case with Dave Shula, but don't you think Lane has a little longer rope since his dad's relatively well respected? Didn't Monte coach Sapp and some others in Tampa?

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agreed. Every decade or so, Davis gets it right with a young guy, Tom Flores being the older guy hired in the late 1970s but who led them to two Super Bowl titles.

He likes to pluck these young offensive minds. Then try to force them to throw deep on every play.

I've never been impressed with Kiffin; always thought USC can have gutsy play calling because their talent and execution is superior. Yes, I'm a Raider fan. Yes, I expect many more days of lamentation ahead. At least I can recycle my two favorite jokes at my local Raider Image store, which is ridiculously overpriced.

1. Hey, when's the "we had another crappy year!" sale?

2. Do the Randy Moss jerseys come in pink?

I'm hoping Kiffin gets Gruden-like authority to rip the team down and rebuild it, but again I have low hopes. Unless they completely start over, he won't last.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This was a compelling argument right up to the day Al Davis achieved senility.

Draft saved Draft deleted