1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raider Chronicles: Cable punches assistant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 17, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Isn't that the team Rex Ryan works for?

It all makes sense, if you think about it.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

[​IMG]

"The bastuds have lost they fuckin mind!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. DanOregon

I checked Hanson's resume. He's been a low-level assistant everywhere he's been. I imagine there are plenty of guys like this around the league, who are mainly around to lead the players through drills, tell players that the coach wants to see them, or have decent contacts but minimal coaching skills. How do you last seven years coaching in the NFL and never rise to even running backs coach?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Rob Ryan did. Now he's the DC in Cleveland.

6. DanOregon

Love the Raiders coaching staff: Paul Hackett, Ted Tollner, Willie Brown (who I love, but don't consider a great coach), it's like the Big West in the mid-1980s.
    I'm amazed, but not surprised, at how undistinguished the staff is. If you took the records of all the teams these guys coached last year you'd be at about .300. Don't know why Michalczk would bail on the OC job at the University of Washington to be the offensive line coach in Oakland unless he just wanted to stay in the Bay Area. It looks like a JC staff filled with a bunch of former high school coaches.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Davis only picks coaches he thinks he can control. As soon as they start thinking for themselves, he fires them.

The once-proud franchise will never be decent again until the old guy dies, although there are some who say his son is just as bad.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He may like his job. You never know.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hackett, who thought scab quarterback Kevin Sweeney would be a star, was supposed to be a young Bill Walsh at one time.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Just got back from a local high school which has a former player who now, as a Division I player, is likely to be drafted into the NFL.

Coach said he got a questionnaire from the an NFL team about said player's character, etc. That team? The Raiders.

Color me shocked.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'm an Oakland native who remembers the good old days. Nothing surprises me about this once proud franchise now.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Oakland makes the Ted Steipen-run Cavaliers look like a model franchise.

Draft saved Draft deleted