1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio/TV, why not webcasts?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We got more calls about what's on TV, what channel, why Local U's game isn't on a cable channel in their cheap-ass package, etc., etc., than every other subject combined.

I think the reason is mainly because the TV stations and cable companies don't answer their phones.

2. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

We would get hundreds of calls from older people complaining that they can't find ESPN3 on their TV if we ever started listing it. One guy called to complain that "there's no such thing as ESPNU."

Sometimes when one of our teams is playing on Fox Sports 2, CBS Sports Network, AXS TV or something like that, we'll break out an info box that explains where the channel can be found on what cable providers, and people still call in to ask.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Had a complaint from an older reader that didn't understand the concept of online broadcasts like ESPN3. We don't even run those in our listings.

Locally, a lot of prep games are webcast by this guy who has spent about 15 years building up his independent site. Started with scores and schedules, now he can broadcast at least a dozen games a week in the regular season. He has the exclusive webcasting rights for all sanctioned state tournaments. But at my previous paper, unofficial word was that we couldn't mention the site because he's a competitor.

Personally, I find it highly amusing that one guy built a site to do all of this and not a single existing media company even tried or would be able to pull it off now. Managers suggested we broadcast stuff on Periscope. But, we can't do that for state, and I don't knownif the rights extend to regular season. Someone smarter locked down the rights. (Plus, are they going to reimburse me for an expensive data plan?)

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

These sites don't get many viewers, and most of them are just getting enough money to pay expenses, and maybe get a burger and fries after game. Looked into once at a place I was working at, and didn't make financial sense. Plus, the quality is crap. Broadcasting a live sporting event through Periscope is a joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted