1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio Row at the Super Bowl: The worst week in sports talk radio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 26, 2009.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Here's my "radio row" story.
    I was involved in very limited NFL coverage in my career, mostly early in training camp and maybe sidebars for a handful of games.
    So one year when the SB was here -- Cowboys-Bills, I think, musta been 1993 -- I get sent to the hotel for the Saturday coverage. Our NFL guy was busy doing preview stuff for the game-day section. I'm supposed to write the final coaches' news conference and the Hall of Fame announcements.
    So I show up and I'm walking through "radio row." At least three times, somebody calls my name. All are radio guys I've known over the years who have moved on and were now doing sports talk radio in some other city.
    So I go on the air on three different shows to share my Super Bowl "knowledge." Boy, that's compelling radio, a bunch of idiots interviewing guy who doesn't even want to be there about a game he doesn't really care about.

2. hmm clueless media people the same stale jokes over and over and over always predictable very little insight sounds familiar

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Gee, my thong is pinching tonight.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yeah, except that we don't get a trip to Tampa or a week's paycheck out of the deal.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's unpossible!

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Man, I'd hate to be the guy that made this joke a second time on this thread.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I think that was covered, right above "always predictable." Eeyore strikes again.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

In lots and lots of ways, I sure agree with that.

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

I'm not on radio row this year. Haven't gone for the last couple of years, in fact, because it's gotten ridiculous. Too many circus acts and not enough legitimate quality guests to justify being there.

Thanks for all the good wishes for us radio folk - we're all exactly the same, you know.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Listened to sports talk radio on the way home tonight, just because I'll soak in all the Steelers talk this week. Cracked me up to hear the guy on Fox Sports Radio say again and again, "If you're in the Tampa area, if you're in town for the game, come by and see us at Hooters!"

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Radio Row will actually be better once they move the Pro Bowl to the Super Bowl location, you might actually get some of the players who lost the conference championship games still bitching about a controversial call and fewer retired guys shilling for some just-add-water philanthropy/event mainly aimed at moving mouthwash, cars, or cell phones.
    Then again, seeing Blago hitting all the tables in New York today had a very "radio row" feel to it.

12. And most of us don't get paid for being stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted