1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio, newspaper, and my ethics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CanzanoJohn, Aug 21, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Paul Allen should buy ALL the newspapers, radio stations, and TV stations in Oregon, then NO ONE can ever report on the Trail Blazers again!!

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

It's my understanding we have to run freelance requests through the ME and EE. It's also my understanding we're not allowed to freelance for publications or web sites that might be competing with our newspaper.
    So yeah, it is an issue at some shops.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I asked a similar question earlier and never got a response. If what Canzano is doing is OK, then what IS an unacceptable conflict of interest? If he's not going over the line, then where exactly is the line?

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

We've heard enough from several posting here -- Mizzou, JayFarrar, couple more -- to understand that, in their view, there is no line. More than that, anyone who thinks there still is a line is out of touch with the way of the media world these days. Think that's why jgmacg finds this so heartbreaking.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

5 out of 7.

I guess that's why my hockey pool team is called "The Media Whores."

My question to John would be this: Is there any mechanism in place for what happens when the station does question something you say or print. Because -- as I posted on the previous thread -- it always happens. There may be good intentions now, but it always happens.

6. Frylock

Frylock Member

Canzano's work holds up under the toughest scrutiny.
    He's a great reporter who happens to be a columnist.
    Most of us would love to be a journalist of his caliber, whether we admit it or not.
    Suddenly, what he writes/says has no value because some on this board have a problem with his decision? Give me a break.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No one ever said it had no value, Frylock. Canzano can write, and report, circles around me.

What we said, and I agree with, is that this decision opens up his writing to greater scrutiny and opens a potential conflict.

8. Joe Williams

No offense, Elliotte, but please take a number. We're waiting for John to answer gingerbread's question first. I'm sure he'll be able to tell you all about the safeguards and airlocks and double-secret buffers between him and Paul Allen, even on the days he cashes the checks.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The ASNE Code of Ethics.

http://www.asne.org/index.cfm?id=387

The relevant citation:

ARTICLE III - Independence. Journalists must avoid impropriety and the appearance of impropriety as well as any conflict of interest or the appearance of conflict. They should neither accept anything nor pursue any activity that might compromise or seem to compromise their integrity.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If indeed MizzouGrad is a Missou grad, he should recognize this:

The Journalist's Creed by Walter Williams

The Journalist's Creed was written by the first dean of the Missouri School of Journalism, Walter Williams. One century later, his declaration remains one of the clearest statements of the principles, values and standards of journalists throughout the world. The plaque bearing the creed is located on the main stairway to the second floor of Neff Hall.

I believe in the profession of journalism.

I believe that the public journal is a public trust; that all connected with it are, to the full measure of their responsibility, trustees for the public; that acceptance of a lesser service than the public service is betrayal of this trust.

I believe that clear thinking and clear statement, accuracy and fairness are fundamental to good journalism.

I believe that a journalist should write only what he holds in his heart to be true.

I believe that suppression of the news, for any consideration other than the welfare of society, is indefensible.

I believe that no one should write as a journalist what he would not say as a gentleman; that bribery by one's own pocketbook is as much to be avoided as bribery by the pocketbook of another; that individual responsibility may not be escaped by pleading another's instructions or another's dividends.

I believe that advertising, news and editorial columns should alike serve the best interests of readers; that a single standard of helpful truth and cleanness should prevail for all; that the supreme test of good journalism is the measure of its public service.

I believe that the journalism which succeeds best -- and best deserves success -- fears God and honors Man; is stoutly independent, unmoved by pride of opinion or greed of power, constructive, tolerant but never careless, self-controlled, patient, always respectful of its readers but always unafraid, is quickly indignant at injustice; is unswayed by the appeal of privilege or the clamor of the mob; seeks to give every man a chance and, as far as law and honest wage and recognition of human brotherhood can make it so, an equal chance; is profoundly patriotic while sincerely promoting international good will and cementing world-comradeship; is a journalism of humanity, of and for today's world.

11. Joe Williams

I'll bet most readers don't know or care about Article III!

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Um, not to start a whole new thread, but you better go. Not necessarily to cover whether Johnny Quarterback won Douchebag of the Year award, but on the off chance some actual news breaks out.

Couple years ago, stud WR used the awards banquet to announce he wasn't going to go pro. Those who weren't there didn't have it. Last year, at the basketball banquet, stud center announced he was applying for the NBA draft. If you weren't there, you didn't get it.

Our rule is, if it's a public event, and the team is talking, you better be there. I think it's a good rule.

but that's a digression for another thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted